What medicine will kill a diabetic
Home> News & Events> Diabetes News> Archives> 2003> 030810
Active ingredient is only active when needed
In the saliva of an American lizard species, researchers have discovered a substance that can be used to make a drug for people with diabetes. This is reported by the pharmacy magazine "Gesundheit".
The crusty lizard "Gila-Monster" is the only poisonous lizard in North America. However, it is not the poison with which it kills its prey, but a component of its saliva, the protein exendin-4, that raises hopes among developers of diabetes drugs.
It lowers blood sugar, delays gastric emptying and inhibits appetite - a desirable side effect in the therapy of the mostly overweight type 2 diabetics.
The active ingredient also seems to delay the course of the disease: The synthetic active ingredient exenatide developed from Exendin-4 increases the number of insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. Insulin is the body's central hormone for sugar metabolism.
Another highlight: Exenatide only works when it is needed - when the blood sugar level is actually increased. The agent is currently being tested in clinical studies.
The pharmacy magazine "Gesundheit" 8/2003 is available in many pharmacies and is given to customers free of charge.
You might also be interested in:
last modified: 08/10/2003
- Overcooking causes cancer
- Malaysia internet speed is slow and expensive
- Are drugs legal in the US?
- Did you run out in high school?
- What were ancient Roman houses made of?
- Can there be happiness without suffering
- Can I make money with my dog
- What is criminalization of mental illness
- How does dark energy eliminate dark matter
- What does Python 2
- Who is buried next to John F. Kennedy
- Is honey vegan
- When do you need love most
- May the USA like Japan
- Is Istanbul really expensive
- What character did Game of Thrones ruin
- The US economy is really strong
- Is the multiverse theory correct?
- Most Uyghurs consider themselves Chinese
- What is your happiest day
- Where are drug cartels investing their billions?
- How do I get rich in Sweden
- Carpet can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner
- What is it like to visit Myanmar