Should I join IIM Kozhikode?

The first time at university is often new territory, especially for freshmen, as many terms and concepts are unknown. In the first few weeks, many people's thoughts are probably elsewhere anyway. That is why the student council iplus +, in cooperation with other first-year tutors, has put together an overview with the most important terms relating to studying in Hildesheim. Alternatively, the list is available here as a PDF.


AstA - General student committee, part of the student representation.

Anchor peers - Student counseling for students

Registration for bachelor / master thesis - The final thesis is usually written in the last semester of study: Bachelor in the 6th Bachelor semester, Master thesis in the 4th Master semester. Please note your own study regulations!

Application subjects - means the same as accompanying subject / minor subject and depends on the degree program. A list of the possible application subjects can be found in the study regulations of the respective degree program

mandatory attendance - Officially there is no compulsory attendance and attendance lists are not allowed. Nevertheless, in many seminars the lecturers keep attendance lists and it can happen that the course is not passed if the attendance is too low. In most cases, the attendance required to pass is 80%, which in most cases corresponds to a maximum of two missed dates.

Medical certificate - required if you are sick during exams. If you are absent from a seminar, you do NOT need a certificate.

Audimax - Largest lecture hall at the university, above the cafeteria

Semester abroad - In principle possible for all courses of study, in some even integrated and therefore compulsory. There are several programs: Erasmus within Europe, PROMOS for overseas - possible at any time, but please note the application deadlines. For more information please refer IO.


BaföG = Federal Training Assistance Act - is a financial aid for students from the state. Objective: To increase equality of opportunity in education in the lower-income sections of the population. The service is based on a flat rate requirement and is "family-dependent".
Tips: Apply at least 1/2 year in advance, pay attention to part-time jobs with regard to income and wealth limits. Further information:

Library= known as BiB - A test project is currently underway, in which eating is also allowed in the reading lounge. You can find more information about this on the Bib's Facebook page, Outside the reading lounge, you are only allowed to take water with you into the Bib, food, other drinks and making calls are not allowed. In the first week there is a general guided tour, see plan for the first week. Various seminars are also offered. Your StudiCard, which you have to activate at the information counter, is your library card. For more information see OPAC. Further information:

Block seminars - Are seminars that are available as a "block". This means that they usually only take place on one or a few weekends, but then over several hours. They usually take place on Friday afternoon to evening and the following Saturday morning to afternoon. Further blocks usually take place at the same time with an interval of a few weeks.
Tip: very practical if you only want to finish the seminar in "a few days"!

Bühler campus - is the third campus of the University of Hildesheim. Some courses in Faculty 1 and all courses in Faculty 3 are located there. It has its own cafeteria and is a 10-minute walk from the main campus. It consists of 2 buildings: new building (LN) and old building (L).
Stop: Silberfundstraße
Address: Lübeckerstraße 1-3, 3114 Hildesheim

buses - Lines 1 and 4 take you to the university during the day:
Line 1: Himmelstür - Dammtor - Hauptbahnhof ZOB - University - Südfriedhof - Itzum Scharfe Ecke
Line 4: Bavenstedt - Drispenstedt - Hauptbahnhof ZOB - Schuhstraße - Universität - Itzum

line 1 DOESN'T LAST between Südfriedhof and Itzum Scharfe Ecke !!!
Drive it NOT ALL Bus line 1 to Itzum Scharfe Ecke !!!
Some trips that go to Itzum Scharfe Ecke during the lecture period end at the SÜDFRIEDHOF during the lecture-free period.

You have to get off at these stops:

Bühler Campus: "Silberfundstraße" stop
Samelson-Platz: "Schillstraße" stop
Main campus: "Universität" stop

Only bus line 1 brings you to:
Domain: “Itzum - Scharfe Ecke” stop.

In the evening only line 104 goes to the university: Itzum - Marienburger Höhe - Schustraße - Bockfeld

It exists NO Direct connection of line 104 to the main station, you may have to walk to Schuhstraße. All evening lines run there every half hour. From Friday to Saturday, line 104 runs every hour from midnight. From Monday to Thursday only the collective call taxi (AST) or call line taxi (ALT) runs from midnight. To do this, you have to register your desired journey by telephone 30 minutes before departure. A trip costs € 0.70 in addition to the semester ticket. Further information:

The travel times change during the school holidays! Further information:


c.t. - (lat. Cum tempore) events starting with c.t. start at a quarter past and end a quarter before.
E.g .: 14-16 c.t. = 14:15 - 15:45.

cafeteria = Cafeteria - there are on the main campus and Bühler campus, but unfortunately not on Samelson-Platz! The domain only has a small café.
Tip: The cafeteria is closed during the semester break! But every now and then the Ca (r) feteria drives by. Incidentally, this also supplies the Samelson Platz during the semester: Here are the weekly plans and other information:

Campus festival - takes place in June every year. It is the summer festival of the entire university and is organized by the AstA, the student councils and other student organizations.

Campus radio - a Hildesheim tradition since 1999!

CareerCenter - The career service of the Central Student Advisory Service (ZSB) is aimed at prospective students, students and graduates up to one year after graduation. If you have any questions about making decisions and setting goals in relation to your professional career, application, or starting your career, you are welcome to make a personal appointment.

Citavi - Program for citing literature, training in the bib possible (registration required, information on the bib website).

Communication Suite - E-mail / communication system of the University of Hildesheim with address book, calendar and mail function that can be accessed via the PWA is attainable. Does not have to be used, the mails can be transferred to an external program such as Mozilla Thunderbird. Instructions can be found under the following link:

An automatic forwarding of the mails to a private address is not possible for data protection reasons.

CPS - Manage print jobs online. Here you can see the print jobs you have sent from your account and download files scanned in using your Uni-Card. Please refer PWA

Important: Mails must be read in any case (all important information such as re-registration deadlines, information from the lecturers, official announcements are sent about it)


DAAD - German Academic Exchange Service: Institution for the promotion of the international academic exchange service. Very important for semesters and scholarships abroad! See IO.

Dean's office - heads a faculty or department of a university

domain - is the culture campus in Itzum. Stop: Itzum Scharfe Ecke

printer - can be found everywhere at the university, usable with the study card. By the way, you can pack your orders online on your StudiCard, see here PWA. You can find more information on the data center website:


ECTS = European Credit Transfer System - also called Credits or credit pointsthat are available for every event. These are calculated according to how much time the course entails.
1 credit ≙ 30 hours of student effort. If you have a lecture with 6 credits, then the effort corresponds to 6 × 30 = 180 hours of work (learning for exams, etc.) to successfully complete the course. You need around 180 credits for a bachelor's degree, 120 for a master’s - please refer to your for more information Study regulations.

Eduroam - Worldwide university W-LAN network, free access for students, instruction sheets can be found in front of the computer center, W-LAN consultation hours. Further information:
Tip: To be able to register in the university network, you need the data center identification that you received in a letter from the university! You can change the password at any time in PWA to change.

English Drama Group - Open theater group of the university in which every student can participate, everyone is welcome (plays in English)

Erasmus - a support program of the European Union.
Tip: If you would like to spend a semester abroad in the EU, you can apply for an Erasmus grant. Please refer IO.

ESN = Erasmus Student Network - Voluntary student organization at the University of Hildesheim for Erasmus students.
Tip: They organize exciting and interesting events and rides, including the famous GlowInTheDark party for all students!
Room: L071, Bühler Campus

EST - First semester tutorial organized by the Central Student Advisory Service (ZSB). Takes place every winter semester in the second week of October. Student tutors provide support with subject-related study plan advice and preparation, registration is not necessary.

Excursion week
There are no regular events this week. Some courses make excursions here, others have free time, block courses can take place. You can see the current data under this link:


Student Council - Institution of student self-administration and representation of interests at the university, course-specific and voluntary, anyone can join.
Tip: sometimes the student councils also have old exams or tips and tricks for your studies! If you are studying something as a minor for which a different student body than your own is responsible, you can also contact them regarding the old exams.

Student Council for Education - responsible for educational science B.A. and M.A. More information:

Student council IMIT - responsible for the information management and information technology B.Sc. and M.Sc.

Student council iplus + - responsible for the courses: International Information Management - Information Science and Intercultural Communication B.A. (IIM-IKK), Intercultural Communication and Translation B.A. (IKÜ), International Information Management - Information Science M.A. (IIM-IW), International Information Management - Linguistics and Intercultural Communication M.A. (IIM-SWIKK), International Specialized Communication - Languages ​​and Technology M.A. (SuT), German as a Second / Foreign Language M.A. (DaF), media text and media translation, M.A. (MuM)

Psychology Student Council - responsible for the courses in psychology with a focus on educational psychology B.Sc. and Educational Psychology M.Sc.

Student Council WINF - responsible for business informatics B.Sc. and M.Sc.

Fazze - Bicycle self-help workshop for students. More information:

Interlibrary loan - If you can't find any of the books you want in the university library, you can try interlibrary loan to get those books. Further information: Find/literatursuche/fernleihe/

Forum - New building on the main campus, seat of the examination office, the matriculation office, the central student advisory service, the international office and other contact points. There are many seminar rooms and the lecture hall H4.


Building plan: Every building has a building plan. So if you don't know the rooms, you can orientate yourself. There is an overview plan on the Bühler campus right next to the entrance.

Gender - Equal Opportunities Office: Room I002 and I003 (Commission for Equal Opportunities), contact AstA Gender and Queer: [email protected]
Tip: Gender is a prerequisite for scientific work. Example: tutor, student.

Go.Intercultural! - a student organization supported by the Institute for Intercultural Communication. It offers intercultural training for students.
Tip: for some courses you can even have these training courses credited to you! More information:

Body - Group that deals with central issues in a specific area. Examples: Senate commission, faculty councils, study commission, employee representation and student representation.
tip: If you are interested in extra-university involvement, but do not dare to participate, more information here: By the way, the committee work looks good on the résumé!


Main Campus - This is where the most important contact points for students of all courses are located: There are several building complexes, including the large cafeteria and the library. The forum is also located on the main campus
Address: Universitätsplatz 1, bus stop: Universität

H1-H4 - Lecture halls on the main campus

House work - is a written work on several pages and counts as proof of achievement, which can be graded or ungraded. Every term paper is tied to certain formalities, which vary from institute to institute.
Tip: So if you have a minor that is offered by the other institute, please inform yourself there about the formalities!

University sports - Free sports activities, plan will be published on the university website at the beginning of the semester. More information:

HoKi - University cinema. The plan and further information:


IO = International Office - Forum (new building). IO is responsible for all foreign affairs. Whether you want or have to go abroad for one or two semesters, IO is your first point of contact! More information:

I office= Matriculation office - Responsibility: Applying to the university, changing subjects, changing courses, student ID, etc.
Location: Forum (new building, main campus)


Job Market: Job advertisements for jobs at the university on the university's homepage. Further information:


KuFa = Kulturfabrik Löseke - contains both a discotheque consisting of several rooms and a pub.
Tip: many student parties take place there! The best known: GlowInTheDark from ESN and Ersti-Party from iplus +

KAB: ESN cultural evening; Meeting point with Erasmus students

Exam - Proof of achievement, which can be graded or ungraded. Usually an exam is written at the end of a lecture or a few in the middle of it.

Committee - a committee charged with a specific task.

Fellow student - Fellow students

Culture ticket - Discounts for cultural events. further information:


Learnweb - Intranet for courses with access to course materials. The registration takes place with the RZ identification.

LN = New Lübeck building - see BühlerCampus

SPF (Teaching-Studies-Research) - Creation of timetables, exam registration, certificates of study, etc. Here you will also find the contact details of all lecturers.


Media text laboratory: Computer room on the Bühler campus

canteen - see cafeteria

Modules - a completed teaching and learning unit made up of various courses

Module manual - Here you can find the individual events of the respective degree programs. Mostly it is already integrated in your study regulations.

Module courses - Required to document participation in an event, not for every degree program


New building - new forum building on the main campus with international office, I office, examination office and campus center - see forum

Minor subjects - see application subject


OPAC - Library's online catalog. Every student has a user account to manage their borrowed books and many other things. First you have to activate your StudiCard (= your Bib ID), only then can you register in the OPAC. Registration data are for everyone:
1. Login name: Number of your StudiCard (on the back, above the bar code)
2. Password: Your date of birth - ddmmyyyy.


Examination Office - P-Office is responsible for processing your grades and your transcript of records

POS - Exam organization system, accessible via the SPF

President - Prof. Dr. Wolfgang-Uwe Friedrich has been President of the University of Hildesheim since 2002. He received his doctorate in 1982 from the University of Göttingen

Examination performance - All services specified by the respective lecturer / department such as: written exams, term papers or oral exams are considered to be examinations. Most of the time, these are set out in advance in the module manual. In contrast to study performance, most examinations are graded; you need at least a 4.0 to pass.

Examination regulations - Defines the framework conditions for the exams at the university: The determination of the type of examination (written exam, term paper, or other) serves as the basis for calculating the bachelor's grade. Each course has its own examination regulations, all regulations can be found under this link:

PWA - "Personal Web Assistant", administration of your data at the university (addresses, personal password for all central online services). It is a central point of access to all important online applications (Communication Suite, CPS, LSF, Learnweb). If you lose your StudiCard and want to apply for a new one, you have to do it via the PWA.


QM = Quality management - is a body at the university. Everything that has to do with the quality of teaching and studies is discussed there: premises, printers, study conditions, etc. So if you come up with something that (in your opinion) needs to be changed, you can file a complaint or act as a student representative attend the meetings.


RZ = Data center -

The data center takes care of the technical IT infrastructure, access data and issuing the student ID.

The service office is located in Building E, room 114, Telephone number: 05121 88392888

Feedback - From the 2nd semester you have to “re-register” every six months within a period for the next semester, ie transfer the semester fee to the university so that you can continue to study. For every response you will receive an email in good time to the university email account with the exact information.

Lecture series - Lecture series in which several different lecturers, mostly from different departments or universities, devote themselves to a certain topic.


s.t. - (lat. Sine tempore) without an academic quarter. E.g .: start of the event 10:00 a.m. s.t. really means 10:00 a.m., not 10:15 a.m.

Key competencies = füsk - Interdisciplinary events and study preparation. They are non-university seminars on various topics, e.g. to work on their soft skills or language skills. These are usually free of charge for students at the University of Hildesheim. You can find more detailed information here:

Semester fee - flat-rate submission of an amount by students to the university, Deadline note! Please refer feedback

Semesterticket: With the state-wide semester ticket you can use the SVHI and RVHI buses and regional trains throughout Lower Saxony on certain routes. You can even use IC and EC on the connections between Bremen Hbf and Norddeich / Mole or Emden Außenhafen. You can find the route network here:

seminar - class-sized events

SS / SoSe - Summer semester

scholarship - Financial element of the gifted education. There are many ways to finance your studies with a scholarship. Further information:
Tip: trust yourself! It's almost always worth trying!

StudiCard (Semester ticket, culture ticket) - Student ID that you can keep for the entire duration of your studies. It is yours: student ID, semester ticket for the transport association, library ID, payment function in the cafeteria, payment function and access authorization for the use of the copier of the University of Hildesheim, locking function for the lockers in the library. The StudiCard has to be re-validated every semester on a validation machine and is integrated into the student ID.

The validation machines are located here:

E-building 1st floor:In front of the data center terminal room
N building (forum) ground floor:Below the stairs
I building ground floor:At the pillar

Academic achievement - In addition to the examination, another form of proof of performance. In contrast to the examination performance, the course performance is usually not graded. The conditions for this are different for each course, but mostly a presentation or similar is required during the semester. In some seminars you can choose between study and examination performance, then a graded examination performance must be taken in another seminar of the same module.

Seminar 1 in Module X: ungraded study performance
Seminar 2 in Module X: graded examination performance
or the other way around.

Study regulations - defines the content and structure of the course in conjunction with the examination regulations. In this respect, it serves as a basis for the planning of the course on the part of the students. So there are all the events and modules that you have to take during your studies. You can find all study regulations here:

StuPa = Student parliament - The StuPa is a university body that is elected by students and every student can be set up for election. It represents student interests and elects the General Student Committee (AStA).

SWS - Hours per week in the semester indicate the time the student expends for an event. 1 SWS = course is taught 45 minutes a week. A lecture or seminar usually lasts 2 hours per week = 90 minutes.


Transcript of Records - List of all personal study and examination achievements. Can be viewed and downloaded in the LSF. Certification takes place in the examination office.

Tutor - Scientific student assistant who supports students and lecturers. There are, among other things, tutorials as a kind of “exercise” or “tuition”.

Tutorial - An additional unit in addition to compulsory exercises to answer special or individual questions. They only take place at certain events and are then usually addressed in the first lecture.


Exercise - Accompanying event to the lecture. Contents are treated and deepened practically. Often mandatory with homework.

UniKino - Usually takes place on Tuesdays and Thursday evenings in the AudiMax. Student prices!


Validation - Updating and activating the StudiCard. This term is also often used in a different context in statistics.

Validation machines - Are distributed on the different campuses for validation of the StudiCard for the current semester. Please refer StudiCard

Experimental studies - Studies conducted by students in which subjects can participate for (financial) compensation or credits. Just ask at the Institute for Psychology!

Lecture - In a lecture, the content of an event is conveyed by a lecturer. The focus is on theoretical content, which is usually dealt with practically in seminars and internships. Examination usually: written exam.

Course catalog - The course catalog contains the entire range of courses at the university. This is that at the University of Hildesheim SPF. Here you can register or register for events and first create a preliminary timetable.

VPN - With the VPN server you can access the university network from home, for example to download e-books from the library's catalog. You can find the downloas and instructions here:


Elections - StuPa, Asta, Semesterticket are chosen once a semester or every two semesters.

Elective subjects - Required in some degree programs. You can find the relevant study regulations under the regulations for your degree program

WebMail - see Convergence

Working student - Part-time job mostly related to studies. Possible in companies or at the university.

Living situation: Apartment, shared flat or dormitory - There are numerous dormitories and shared apartments in Hildesheim, with low rental prices. The average price is between 200-300 euros.

WS / WiSe - Winter semester


Zotero - Program for reference management, for more information see:

ZSB = Central student advisory service - Located in the new building on the main campus in building N, 1st floor. Contact point for general questions about studies.
Contact person: Dinda Fatah
More information:

© 2016 All rights reserved.