Can smoke alarms detect smoke from cigarettes
How does a smoke alarm actually work?
Smoke alarms are actually called smoke alarms. And they work in exactly the same way: they warn in good time of any smoke that is developing. Most common smoke alarms are so-called optical smoke alarms. They work according to the scattered light principle. According to this procedure, the smoke detector reacts even to low concentrations of fire smoke - but without triggering an alarm in the presence of light smoke such as cigarette smoke.
This is how a smoke alarm works:
In the optical chamber of the smoke detector there is an infrared light-emitting diode and a light-sensitive sensor, a so-called photodiode. The infrared LED continuously emits a test light beam that is invisible to the human eye and aligned so that it does not strike the light-sensitive photodiode directly.
If smoke particles are in the air and they penetrate the optical chamber of the detector, the emitted infrared light beam of the LED is scattered and reflected by the smoke particles. Part of this scattered infrared light also falls on the light-sensitive photodiode - the smoke detector sounds the alarm. It is important to know that even small particles such as dust or insects can trigger an alarm. It is therefore important to maintain the smoke alarm on a regular basis.
Smoke detector checklist
Check smoke alarms annually for their functionality. Keep the operating instructions for the smoke detector in a safe place and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Press the test button to test the function of the smoke detector. If there is no signal, the function is disrupted.
Remove dust, insects, covers or other foreign objects from the smoke inlets.
Replace the battery in the smoke detector when the corresponding signal sounds. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
“Q” stands for quality
Smoke detectors awarded the “Q” not only have a permanently installed 10-year long-life lithium battery, but also better measuring electronics as well as more stable components and a more stable housing. As a result, Q-smoke detectors are less prone to false alarms and at the same time offer more convenience - there is no need to replace the batteries, and maintenance and care is easier and cheaper. Q smoke alarms are also recommended by Stiftung Warentest.
List of Q smoke detectors
Here you will find an overview of all quality smoke detectors
Most Popular Topics:
- Should pilots be replaced by computers
- What to choose between money and family
- Who is the richest woman in the Bahamas
- Can drinking alcohol actually kill you?
- What is the best Rolex to own
- Dream God of the universe
- Are math equations and symbols universal
- What is the name of Amazon Echos
- What is the scope of cognitive science
- What pennies from the 1950s are valuable
- Which thing should be a priority
- How can I start a technology blog
- What are the main web hosting services
- Why does heart cancer not occur
- Why do European cars have plastic parts?
- Would you die for anything or anyone
- Why am I attracted to older men?
- What's the best birthday
- What can you do to save water
- Why do people like their house dark
- What is Minkowski spacetime
- What does jogging do to your body?
- Why is graph theory important
- How does the date of the postmark work