Why should I write a guest post
Writing a guest post: tips and checklist
A Guest Post Ideally, it expands the stylistic and thematic range of a blog, brings a breath of fresh air and new perspectives to it and can be extremely exciting for readers. Guest posts are popular - with publishers for the reasons above; with the authors, who make a name for themselves with it and can use the reach of the publishing site. However, guest posts are - unfortunately - often used solely for link marketing. As a result, they wear out. And quite a few authors do not make the appropriate effort, so that there are extensive corrections, numerous inquiries and complete revisions of the guest article. If it gets published at all. What to look for when Write a guest post should pay attention ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Writing a guest post: the perspective of bloggers and publishers
We too on the career bible regularly publish guest posts. We are offered around 5 new topics and articles per week. Some of the manuscripts will even be finished and without prior agreement sent in. A bad habit. Because this way these contributions have no chance of publication, especially since they were obviously not tailored to the target page (in this case the career bible). This not only makes unnecessary effort for the publisher, but also for the author, who is then left with his unpublished manuscript.
Publishing guest posts is a double-edged sword for a blog or magazine:
- On the one hand, the guest post expands the content, makes (ideally) little effort, and offers the readers variety.
- On the other hand, there is a high risk that the guest contribution will come from an online layperson who will spread his manuscript widely in order to achieve maximum reach. From his point of view understandable, from the point of view of the publisher an SEO catastrophe - it can be easier Duplicate content not bargain. In the worst case scenario, Google & Co. looks like a plagiarist if the manuscript has already been published elsewhere.
But even if the article was written exclusively for the site (technical jargon: Unique content), there is still the risk cannibalize his own articlesif the same content is conveyed in different words. Motto: Everything has already been said, but not yet by everyone.
In this case, the guest post does not represent an extension of your own content, but just an extension redundant duplicate. Not a particularly pleasant read for the loyal regular readers ...
That is why it is extremely important for publishers to select the guest contributions offered very precisely and also to coordinate topics and content in advance. Otherwise guest articles do not make your work any easier, otherwise they turn into a nasty surprise.
Writing a guest post: The authors' point of view
The motives for publishing a guest post on a wide-reaching blog or in an online magazine are legion:
There is also a kind Accolade effect: A guest author is usually not identified with the publishing side, especially if he only publishes a single article there. Nevertheless, the reputation of the blog or the page radiates in part on him. If the blog is technically excellent and only lacks stylistic finesse, this can even be an advantage for guest authors: Here it is relatively easy to stand out positively from the mass of articles. Do you want to be on the other hand on a total high quality blog as a guest author participate, the demands and effort of the respective article increase noticeably.
And that is exactly one of the Cardinal sinsthat many guest authors commit:
You only see the potential gain for you, not the effort that has gone into it. So a couple of lines will be quick lovelessly written down or copied from your own book - and off you go: Please publish once!
But a lack of quality does not convince anyone. Even if the site operator publishes the article: The readers are used to better things and appreciate it Level drop corresponding. In fact, there is always the risk that the shot will backfire. Instead of a reputation, the author earns a veritable one Shitstorm.
The other way around it turns into a shoe: Even if you are a blogger yourself - one of the best contributions is always offered, not an article by Rudi's rest ramp. Otherwise you will convey to your readers - no matter where - only exactly that: For the author it is not enough for more than remaining stock. Who should then click on your page or be interested in your book if the excerpt was already botch?
Authors: Write a checklist for the guest post
To give you the decision for or against writing a guest article as well as tips when writing a guest article, we have the following Checklist developed:
- Check whether the thematic Alignment and Reputation of the potential publisher fits your direction and goals.
- Always write guest posts about yours Core issues. On the one hand, the effort for you is then limited, on the other hand, you also sharpen your profile (and in the opposite case do not water it down).
- Clarify in advance which expectations the operators of the site have guest posts. Some - like us - publish fixed rules in advance.
- Check if the foreseeable effort for you in relation to the possible return. What do you expect exactly?
- Clarify in advance whether Links for your blog or a social media profile in the guest post are desired or allowed. If the Google guidelines are strictly interpreted, only “nofollow” links are allowed for guest posts.
- Please expect the guest post revise several times to have to. The first version is rarely adopted unchanged.
- Write the guest post in view of the target group and publisher's readership - not for your target audience (which may, however, be the same). This can also mean using examples that are unfamiliar to you and a slightly different style.
- Depending on the blog, it can be useful to have a Control of the finished article to be assured prior to its publication.
- Make sure you're in the guest post named as author become.
- Clarify when the article will go online and coordinate sharing of the link in the various social networks.
- Publishing is not enough: read them too Comments on your article and answer any questions or comments that arise.
Publisher: Checklist for Accepting Guest Posts
- Ideally, make them clear Rules and requirements for guest posts and actively communicate them.
- Put clear and thorough strict criteria to guest posts and select them critically. It should make your page better - not fuller.
- Check whether the relevant author, his reputation and its subject to fit your page.
- Provide guest authors honest and constructive feedback on your articles and clearly state what changes you would like to see in the article.
- Make it clear from the start that promotional articles have no place with you. You are cheating on the reader: These are not "guest articles", but "advertisements".
- Clarify in advance how many external links Allow them in the guest article and with which attributes (dofollow or nofollow).
- Check if the time expenditure is worthwhile for you in relation to the possible benefit. Experience teaches: If the article does not improve noticeably after the second loop, you should reject the author.
- Clearly mark all guest posts as such and always give a short one Author's vita - which he ideally delivers himself.
- Make sure in advance that the guest author also comments and yourself actively involved in the discussion.
If all of the points mentioned in the checklist apply, guest contributions can be made excellent tool for reputation building be for authors and publishers. When writing guest articles, however, the following rule of thumb still applies: Less is more. Use it sparingly and only place it in a targeted manner.
Conversely, you want as a publisher don't lose your own profileby only publishing guest posts with highly fluctuating quality. This is the only way to maintain the value and popularity of guest posts.
This article may also be of interest to you
- What is AC voltage
- Is cloud hosting faster
- What are lean startups missing
- Why are people settling for less?
- Why does Australia not have express trains
- Which type of MBTI is the most difficult
- What are some inappropriate Greek mythologies
- Can hold a crush for a lifetime
- How do I deal with a bipolar person
- What math is used in algorithms
- Who is the best person
- Why can't I add credentials?
- How do I get fat and healthy
- Why are you dying
- When can we live in space?
- The 2020 presidential election will be a mess
- Which diapers fit a 13-year-old
- How many countries have the war crimes violated?
- How do you interpret a confidence interval
- Medusa is a symbol of feminine power
- What are Amway diamonds
- Who are the best American historians
- What role do the media play
- Tilt haram