Is It expensive to live in Malaysia?


Have you ever considered emigrating to Malaysia when you were planning to emigrate? Probably not, since Malaysia is not one of the most famous emigration countries for Europeans. But wrongly, because in Asia you hardly live anywhere safer, less tax-privileged or cheaper. Reason enough to take a closer look at the tax haven in Asia.

Climate in Malaysia
Tropical equatorial climate, with pleasant temperatures of 24 - 32 degrees all year round. The climate is mainly characterized by the southwest (4th - 10th) and northeast (10th - 02nd) monsoons. In addition, the pleasant temperatures speak for paradise in Asia.

The country in Southeast Asia
The country in Southeast Asia presents itself primarily to holidaymakers with long, white sandy beaches, tropical islands, dense rainforests and cool mountain regions.

What language do they speak in Malaysia?
The official language is Malay, although English is recognized as a second language in many parts of the country. Furthermore, Chinese and Indian are spoken in different regions depending on the geographical location.

What is the cost of living in Malaysia?
Life in Malaysia is cheap, especially the costs for housing, mobile communications, food, clothing, hotels & flights, as well as for medical treatment are very low compared to European standards.
The islands off the mainland such as Lagkawi, Labuan or Tioman are considered a duty-free zone. A lot of money can be saved here when buying a car.

All in all, you can lead a very good life in Malaysia with € 750 - € 1,000 a month. Of course, this guideline value must always be added to the wishes and feelings of luxury of each individual.

School, training and universities
The school system in Malaysia is very well developed and has free access to public schools. In addition to public educational institutions, there is a wide range of private and international schools, as well as private colleges and universities. German schools can also be found in Kuala Lumpur, for example.

Tax haven Malaysia
The fact that Malaysia can be described as a tax haven is shown very clearly by the individual tax rates:

Income tax - If you stay in the country for more than 180 days, your domestic income is subject to statutory income tax. There is a tax scale with the maximum tax rate of 26%. Workers who stay for less than 60 days are exempt from income tax. (Seasonal workers)

Tip: Anyone who has emigrated to Malaysia from Germany or Austria and spends more than 180 days in the country can declare their income (interest, pension or pension) in accordance with the double taxation agreement. There are no taxes on foreign income - so there is a "zero taxation". Profits from investments are also tax-free.

However, the following income must be in Germany or Austria. to be taxed:

  • Income from self-employment
  • Rent from real estate in Germany or Austria
  • Income from the sale of real estate within the 10 year period
  • Income from the sale of shares or funds within the speculation period
  • Receipt of pensions as a civil servant
  • KESt (5% for the sale of real estate objects, or tax-free after 5 years)

value added tax - is generally 10%, but this does not apply to all products. As a side effect of the Islamic state there is, for example, 15% VAT. For cigarettes & alcohol, but only 5% for building materials.
There are no other taxes such as gift tax, inheritance tax or wealth tax in Malaysia.

Entry requirements, visas and the MM2H program
In addition to the financial advantages, entry for EU citizens is also very unproblematic. No visa is required for a stay of up to 3 months. Upon arrival at the airport, the so-called “Social Visit Pass” is issued free of charge. This form of entry allows you to stay as a tourist for a maximum of 90 days, but not to take up work in the country. With the “Employment Pass” you get permission to work in the country for an unlimited period of time. The application can sometimes take a little longer and is easier via an international company that is already based in, for example, Kuala Lumpur.

A foreign company can apply for the so-called “expatriate post” for its employees, which enables and approves work in the country. For short-term work between 2 weeks and 1 year, the somewhat faster and easier to get “Professional Visit Pass” is sufficient - a kind of temporary work permit similar to the J1 visa for interns in the USA.

The immigration program "Malaysia My Second Home" for short MM2H is one of the best programs you can find internationally. We will be presenting this program in more detail here shortly.