What are character traits
Character traits: What does your personality reveal about you?
Reliable, confident, helpful - which onesCharacter traits apply to you Have you ever consciously dealt with your personality at all? If not, it's high time you did! Because knowing them will bring you a lot further, both professionally and privately. But what exactly are character traits? How do they come about? And in which areas of life do they affect? You will find out that and much more in the following lines!
What are character traits?
To answer the question, you should first break the word down into its individual components: The term "character“Originally comes from the Greek language and means imprint or characteristic. And a "property“Strictly speaking, it is also a characteristic that belongs to your being. Everything is fine so far?
We state: A character trait is an individual competence that defines you as a person. She is responsible for yoursbehavior, your morals and values as well as for your emotional world. In modern language, the term “personality” is often used as a synonym for the entirety of your personality traits.
How do character traits arise?
In order to get a precise idea of what defines you as a person, your knowledge of the development of character traits is essential. So here's a little digression:Character traits are neither congenital nor inherited. They develop in the phases of your life and can change at any time.
Of course, your genes have certain predispositions for certain traits. However, it has been proven that the first few years of life are more important to the formation of your character. It is not for nothing that this period is called the “imprinting phase”. In this phase, children observe their parents' reactions and adopt them for themselves.
What is the difference between properties & characteristics?
With the different terms around yourspersonality you can get confused quickly. Character traits and traits are often used synonymously. But what exactly is the difference here?
The following can be found for the two terms in the Duden:
- Character trait: "trait understood as an expression of character"
- Characteristic: “characteristic, distinguishing sign by which a certain person, group or thing, also a condition, can be recognized”
So your character traits describe your personality. How are you ashuman? What characterizes you A feature, on the other hand, is something superficial. For example, your sympathetic manner or lack of words can be acharacteristic be. You can be recognized by your characteristics. Whereas character traits are emotional characteristics of you and describe your personality.
Why should you know your character traits?
You can see that your character traits play a big role when you deal with yourpersonality and want to deal with your individual characteristics. But why is it so important to know your character traits? Isn't it enough to have a rough idea of what makes you tick as a person?
Being able to describe your character traits in the right words has a number of advantages, for example in professional life:
- Think of the typical question in any job interview: “What are yoursStrengths and weaknesses? “HR managers can almost recite the monotonous answers by heart. Surprise them at your next conversation with creative and varied character traits!
- You can use your individual characteristics in a targeted manner in your job profile and do not have to resort to conventional and boring terms such as “reliable”, “careful” or “enthusiastic”.
- You improve yoursExpressiveness, because you expand your vocabulary and can thus verbalize yourself better.
- Are you not on the job seeker's side, but are you hiring other people? Then use differentiated character traits to pepper a job description with the really relevant characteristics for the position.
Is there a list of all properties?
Let's keep it simple: Character traits are the sum of yoursPersonality traits. They arise in different phases of life and can also change depending on the experience. Knowing your exact characteristics helps you, among other things, to stand out in job interviews or to find people for a job who, due to their characteristics, really fit the desired position.
Now you are probably asking yourself: How do I find out my very personal characteristics? A good start is to be diverseproperties first of all to know. At least now, the question of a list comes into play - a list that contains all character traits and from which you only have to pick your personal characteristics. Unfortunately, it's not that easy! The reason: These lists would be endless, because as diverse as we humans are, the characteristics that describe us can also be as diverse.
However, you can find a variety of character trait lists on the Internet that contain at least some of the existing traits. These are usually enough to give you an initial impulse. You may come up with other adjectives that you think describe you well. You can find a list of character traits, for example, on word growth.
Can character traits change?
But the formation of character traits is by no means complete after childhood. That also shapes you latersocial environment enormous: friends, classmates, fellow students and work colleagues influence your behavior. This can drag on into old age, because the characteristics you have learned do not have to last your entire life. On the contrary: yoursExpressions can be strengthened or reduced, new character traits can be added or old ones can be discarded. However, you don't take it off like an old jacket that you just wore.
Instead, they're stuck in theawareness anchored and difficult to change. How it works? Well, a change can be set in motion, for example, on the basis of a formative experience. Even if you develop a special interest in a topic that requires certain character traits, this can lead to adjustments. Example: You have been a big model making fan for some time. This hobby requires precise work, patience and perseverance. Your newfound passion will become yoursInterests and tendencies in these areas are most likely to change.
Properties in private life
Do you still remember your first best friend or friend? Are you still friends? If so, this is not a coincidence! For the basic basis of yoursFriendship your character traits are decisive. You will have noticed some of your boyfriends already in the getting to know each other. You have gained an impression and unconsciously decided that you accept this and that you want to be friends with the person.
The better we get to know other people, the more we become aware of their character traits. Some may remain hidden from us forever. For example, it is difficult for a superficial person to form deep friendships. The friendship will mostly remain on a superficial basis. Your joy can be yoursPersonality traits also change. You probably know this: When you have made new friends and you see each other almost every day, a little bit of the character traits of your friends rub off on you. You behave similarly to them in certain situations. This is comparable to the early childhood imprinting phase.
Properties in relationships
Your character traits are almost even more important in a partnership or marriage. Even on the first dates you will have thought about whether you fit together, whether you can overlook small "negative" quirks or whether yoursAttitudes towards life to match. Your common interests form the basis of a relationship. For example, if your character traits match in the essential areas, there will be fewer disputes.
Some of them are also differentInclinations Advantage: You know the saying "opposites attract". Your character traits can complement each other and reinforce each other. If your partner supports you in every life situation and strengthens your back, you will become more self-confident and have more confidence in yourself. These behaviors give your relationship a certain permanence.
Qualities in professional life
Your character traits are also important in the job world, after all, you are asked about them during the application process. What are your positive qualities? Do they distinguish you for this job? At least now the point has come when everyone has to deal with themselves. Here you should be honest with yourself. For example, do you stateteam player being a lone fighter in real life, this will quickly make itself felt. You may get the job, but you won't be happy with it later.
But even long after the application process, characteristics can have a positive effect on the quality of your work. For example, you are veryconscientious and reliableyour employer will appreciate this. Your character traits are also essential when working in a team with colleagues. How do you deal with them How good is your relationship? What working atmosphere does that create?
So your character traits are the basis for thatrelationship to colleagues. If you get along well and there is a friendly working atmosphere, this will inspire your work. Sometimes little things that you do to a certain extent for the community also get you moving. When was the last time you refilled the printer with copy paper? Conversely, colleagues can of course also influence yoursCharacter traits take: If you are trained by someone who works very meticulously and precisely, you will usually take on this quality.
What are your positive qualities?
What are your positive character traits? What distinguishes you Have you ever asked yourself this question? If not, now is the perfect time to do so. And that's why we would like to ask you to briefly take a sheet of paper and a pen at this point.
Now write everyonepositive character traits that you display privately and professionally. Here you should come up with at least 5 properties. Here is an example of relevant characteristics: Determined, adventurous, loving, friendly and disciplined.
As soon as you have found your 5 positive character traits, you should now look for concrete examples from everyday life. Write them down. Feel free to write down as many examples as possible for each property. Why is that so important? That way you keep calling yourself intoawarenesswhat you are good at and what you should hold on to. Corresponding examples:
- Determined: ,, I express my opinion resolutely at work and work hard to implement it. "
- Adventurous: "I like to try new things: I travel with joy, for example, and get to know new cultures and people."
- Loving: "I give the people around me love, attention and the necessary respect."
- friendly: "I am friendly towards all people, even if they are not."
- Disciplined: "Even when difficult times are ahead, I stay disciplined and go my own way."
What are your negative traits?
Surely you can already guess that everyone is about toonegative character traits that restrict us in everyday life. What negative traits do you have? What qualities do you like to get in a mess with?
Again, take a pen and paper and write down your 5 most negative character traits. Again, we would like to give you a concrete example. In this case, the negative traits of character are: fearful, impulsive, stubborn, jealous, perfectionist.
As soon as you have found your 5 negative character traits, the point here again is that you find concrete examples from your everyday life. In this way, you will be better aware of the properties and will be able to work harder on them in the future to improve yourpersonality to develop further. At this point we would like to present you with appropriate examples again.
- Scared: "I often find it difficult to express my opinion at work, although I often know better."
- Impulsive: "I am very emotional and easily get out of my skin when I feel attacked."
- Stubborn: "I often behave stubbornly and do not deviate from my opinion, even when I am wrong."
- Jealous: "I feel boiling when I see my partner talking to another person."
- Perfectionist: "I often get lost in small details that prevent me from getting ahead in life."
The topic is also important in this contextSelf-guidance. Because if you can lead yourself, you also steer your life in the appropriate direction. In order for you to succeed, we have prepared a suitable Greator video for you at this point: “Leading yourself: Self-confidence and responsibility as success factors” by Nicolai Christ. We wish you a lot of fun.
This is how you recognize your characteristics
Sometimes it is not that easy to find out what your individual characteristics are. Personality tests can be helpful here. They help you to identify your traits and also usually give you valuable information about your character. There are now a large number of different tests. We would like to briefly introduce two of them to you here.
Big Five - The "OCEAN Model"
The Big Five personality traits or even thatOCEAN model called, try to describe the character traits of a person with only five adjectives. The American psychologists Paul Costa and Robert McCrae were able to show that exactly this is possible. Because no matter which methods are used: The characteristics of people can be summarized with these five adjectives - all over the world.
- O - Openness (openness): People who are open are imaginative, keen to experiment, curious, inquisitive, versatile and creative.
- C - Conscientiousness (Conscientiousness): These people are often neat, punctual, organized, thoughtful, careful, reliable, and responsible.
- E - extraversion (extraversion): Extroverts have characteristics like talkative, energetic, sociable, spontaneous, optimistic, and confident.
- A - Agreeableness (tolerance): People with a high degree of compatibility treat others with compassion, benevolent, understanding, cooperative and helpful.
- N - Neuroticism (Neuroticism): Neurotic traits include insecure, anxious, embarrassed, tense, and sad, among others.
The 4 DISC personality types
With the DISG model you can create your ownPersonality profile create. It will help you better understand your character and the beliefs behind it. The four personality types according to this model are as follows:
- D - The dominant: The dominant personality type is extroverted and task-oriented. Qualities: strong-willed, challenging, determined, result-oriented, stubborn, assertive, direct, open, courageous, persistent, demanding
- I - The initiative: The initiative personality type is extroverted and people-oriented. Qualities: influencing, entertaining, emotional, stimulating, inspiring, optimistic, spontaneous, sociable, relationship-oriented, talkative, entertaining
- S - The steady one: The steady personality type is introverted and people-oriented. Qualities: relaxed, loyal, helpful, insightful, patient, pragmatic, modest, attentive, consistent, loyal, considerate, team player, compassionate, reliable
- G - The conscientious one: The conscientious personality type is introverted and task-oriented.Qualities: controlled, careful, detail-oriented, self-disciplined, forward-looking, logical, systematic, precise, analytical, reserved, thorough, accurate
Do you want to find out what type of personality you are? Then do that nowfree greator personality test!
Reflect on your character traits
Character traits are far more important than most of us realize. They influence your everyday life in your private and professional life. You should therefore think more often about who you are and how you want to be. Reflect yourself! So you can take part in negativeCharacter traits work and turn them into positive ones. Only when you become aware of your good character traits can you strengthen them and express them more often in everyday situations. What are you waiting for?
Would you like to develop new character traits and learn more about yourself and your personality? Then be sure to check out the Greator app! Our app is yoursCoaching for personal development. Here you get compact courses in which you examine your different areas of life, exclusive videos with proven learning methods and daily exercises with which you can act in a motivated and self-determined manner. These topics await you in the app:
- Goals & visions
- Success & Fulfillment
Experience your change now!
- Food is packaged food that is harmful to health
- What is a polyamoroese relationship 2
- What were some of Hitler's powerful speeches
- When are rhetorical questions about Quora allowed?
- Was Nero gay
- What is a good site for video chat
- What is the highest paid journalism job
- How can I order Patanjali products online
- Is Donald Trump left-handed
- What is the general perception about IIM Shillong
- Should GMO products be banned
- How do you deal with celebrity crushes?
- Alcoholics are bad people
- Is Skyrim turned on Turn off the whole game
- Can Muslims have relationships with non-Muslims?
- How is the relative mass of an electron determined
- Is someone messing up Quora Mobile Site
- Kill Quora your time
- Why do people choose to be fat?
- Why is Australia so against guns
- What Are the Best Business Masters Degrees
- How much propranolol could kill you
- Light bulbs emit sound
- Which animal represents Donald Trump's personality?