Can we take fruit on the flight
Remedies for fruit flies: 7 home remedies that will help against fruit flies
Fruit flies rarely come alone and usually populate the fruit basket in the kitchen or the cake on the worktop in large numbers. If it is still nice and warm, the small fruit flies can develop into a real nuisance within a few days. Fortunately, there are tried and tested remedies against fruit flies that you can use in the fight against them and that you will certainly already have one or the other at home.
How much is my property worth?
Ask the real estate calculator! After just 5 minutes you will receive an exact market price and lots of other information.Rate property now
So before you spend money on UV lamps, chemical attractants or trap funnels, you should try our seven home remedies against fruit flies. We'll also give you a few tips on how you can easily prevent fruit flies.
First measures in the fight against fruit flies
Half the battle in the fight against countless fruit flies: First of all, remove all food or objects that have been infected by the small flies. Then you should clean and wipe everything thoroughly once. Particularly in joints and cracks, food scraps or dried-on liquids can accumulate, which one likes to overlook. So you should pay special attention to them.
You can also get some of the fruit flies out of the apartment with proper ventilation. Our seven home remedies for fruit flies may help you to get rid of them completely.
1. Sweet temptation: attract fruit flies with canned fruit
You can attract the annoying flies with canned fruit. Just leave a sip of fruit juice and some fruit in the can and cover it with a perforated cling film. The fruit flies are attracted by the sweet smell and crawl through the holes in the can. The film prevents the little annoyances from flying out again later.
A little hint: Many types of fruit such as pears, grapes or dried fruit have a relatively high proportion of fructose. The more ripe they get, the more sugar they contain and the greater the risk that fruit flies will soon pounce on them. It is better to keep ripe fruit tightly closed or in the refrigerator right away.
2. With waste against fruit flies: banana peels
Putrid vegetable and fruit bowls are the perfect nutrient substrate for female fruit flies to lay eggs in. This can be up to 400 eggs within 24 hours, from which the first fruit flies hatch after four to five days.
You can also use this problem to your advantage: Simply pack the rotten shells in a freezer or plastic bag and wait until the first flies have found their target. Then quickly seal the bag. So the fruit flies can no longer fly out and their offspring can no longer colonize your kitchen.
3. The classic: a mixture of vinegar and washing-up liquid as a fruit fly trap
A tried and tested remedy for fruit flies: the small bowl or shot glass with standard vinegar, mixed with a sip of water or optionally sweet apple juice or apple cider vinegar. In order for the flytrap to be effective, you should add a splash of detergent. It ensures that the surface tension of the water is destroyed, so, according to NABU, the fruit flies cannot hold on to it and drown.
4. Fresh sugared yeast as a remedy against fruit flies
Fruit flies are sweet-toothed people who, in addition to ripe fruit, rotten vegetable peel and cakes, also fly on drinks containing sugar and yeast. With a cocktail made from fresh yeast, 100 milliliters of water, a splash of dish soap and a teaspoon of sugar, you can lure them into the trap.
Fill the milky liquid into a bottle with a long, thin neck, it is best to use a funnel for this. In this way you avoid that the bottle neck is wetted with the sweet liquid and you guide the flies back to the exit.
Good to know: No fresh yeast in the house, will baking soda work too? Wrong thought: The leavening agent works as a remedy against ants, even if we would like to advise you against this animal-torturing method. Unlike yeast, however, baking powder does not give off a sweet smell, so it is unattractive for fruit flies. Dry yeast, on the other hand, works just as well.
Instead of yeast, you can also try it with a sip of beer, red wine, or another yeast-based drink, such as fermented kombucha. Simply add a splash of detergent and the fruit fly trap is ready.
5. Denture cleaner becomes a fruit fly trap
Similar to a vinegar-washing-up liquid mixture, denture cleaner tablets are also supposed to work wonders as a remedy for fruit flies. The smell is said to have a similarly attractive effect on fruit flies as the sour vinegar smell. For the unusual fruit fly trap you need a glass with water in which you can dissolve two cleaning tablets. If you then place the trap right next to your fruit bowl, the fruit flies will be deflected immediately.
6. Keep fruit flies with lemons and cloves away
Perhaps this is actually the miracle weapon, because the combination of lemons peppered with cloves is not only supposed to work against fruit flies. The natural home remedy is also touted as a promising method in the fight against mosquitoes and wasps.
Unlike most other home remedies for fruit flies, the intense clove and lemon aromas ensure that the pests don't even come near your fruit basket. Simply place the lemon half in your fruit basket between the other fruits and protect it from a fly attack.
7. Use these 10 plants to drive away fruit flies
You can also gently put the flying pests to flight with plants and some kitchen herbs, because many essential oils and herbal fragrances have a repellent effect on the little flies. The following plants and herbs are particularly good at fighting fruit flies:
- Tomato plant (mainly its green parts)
- Lemon balm or lemongrass
- Butterwort (carnivorous plant)
- Mint or peppermint
- Bay leaf (also dried)
The intense smells can not only help against fruit flies, the scent of lavender, for example, also works against spiders. In the following article, we have prepared for you which agents can also effectively protect against spiders in the apartment:
7 tips on how to keep fruit flies away
You can actively do something to prevent a fruit fly plague from spreading and multiplying in your apartment, especially the kitchen. Seven tips on how to keep fruit flies away:
- Stores fruit, especially those types that produce a ripening gas, in the refrigerator during the hot summer months. These include, for example, pears and apples.
- Screwed return bottles and old glass with a lid. If they are no longer available, rinse beer and wine bottles properly with water, for example, and remove all sticky residues.
- Wash used dishes immediately or put them in the dishwasher immediately.
- Put a lid on a juice, beer or wine glass in summer.
- The fruit no longer fits in the refrigerator? Or shouldn't be stored there like bananas or tomatoes? You can protect it from fruit flies with a cover.
- Get rid of leftover food immediately and take out the rubbish every day.
- Thoroughly cleans all work surfaces after cooking and baking, for example with an organic cleaner with vinegar. Here you will find instructions on how to make such an organic cleaner:
- You can eat boiled head of lamb
- Units of magnetic induction and magnetic fields
- What do you drink besides water
- Why do some people hate Black Friday
- Is it normal to accept the sharing of women?
- How crazy is your life
- Most narcissists are compulsive liar
- What are the multiplayer games for school
- What are viable international dropshipping suppliers
- Why is my one year old angry
- How does the environment positively affect tourism?
- What habits millionaires avoid
- How do you generate leads with Twitter
- How is the market for Shopify apps
- How are online courses
- I could go crazy all of a sudden
- Who is the most respected British actress
- How old is John F. Kennedy
- Why do people get fat
- Which Japanese noodles are gluten-free
- Should Quora publish a book
- Is Ritalin safe to use without ADHD
- What really happens when the meal expires
- What screams I'm middle class