Can you seldom eat fish
Which fish can still be put on the plate?
Fish is a healthy and delicious food. But the worldwide wild stocks are shrinking, around a third is considered overfished. Which fish can consumers still buy with a clear conscience?
According to the environmental protection organization WWF and the Hamburg consumer center, wild salmon from Alaska are a good choice when shopping. The stocks are stable here. Fish from European breeding, such as carp and brook trout from organic aquaculture, are also recommended. On the other hand, environmentally conscious consumers should avoid eel, wolffish, sea bass, bluefin tuna, Atlantic salmon and all shark species (including Schillerlocken).
Apps and brochures provide an overview
A brochure from the Hamburg Consumer Center and the WWF fish guide, which can also be downloaded as a smartphone app, provide an overview of which fish species are recommendable or not recommended from an ecological point of view. It is important to update the app regularly, as the situation of fish stocks can change relatively quickly.
Pay attention to the fishing area and method
In general, the environmentalists at WWF recommend viewing fish as a delicacy and only eating it occasionally. The Hamburg Consumer Center also advises paying attention to the fishing area and fishing method possible. Fresh goods must be labeled by the retailer; in the case of packaged goods, the corresponding information should be on the packaging. However, the information is not always complete, because only large fishing areas such as the North Atlantic are required, but not the more precise sub-regions in which the stocks can be in different condition.
Environmental seals provide initial orientation
Ecolabels provide a good initial orientation when making a purchase. Whether a fish comes from sustainable fisheries, offer when buying an eco-label. The best-known seal for wild fish is the seal of the Marine Stewardship Council, or MSC for short. However, the seal has been criticized for a long time because of clear deficiencies; according to the consumer advice center, some fisheries are not recommended despite MSC certification. Even the WWF currently sees the seal as only a minimum standard as long as urgent reforms have not taken place. But it is still suitable for quick orientation.
Seal for fish from aquaculture
There are also seals for fish and seafood from aquaculture. The MSC seal for wild fish corresponds to the ASC seal (Aquaculture Stewardship Council) for farmed fish. It sets certain minimum standards for more sustainable fish farming. However, the requirements are relatively low. There are no restrictions on genetically modified feed, drugs - including antibiotics - may be used under certain conditions.
The consumer advice centers and the WWF therefore recommend that when it comes to fish from aquaculture, preference is given to using products with an organic seal, for example from Bioland or Naturland. For these products, the requirements for stocking density, among other things, are stricter; the fish feed must not contain any hormones or drugs.
This topic in the program:
Market | 05/10/2021 | 8:15 pm
- In the past people were really happier
- How long do I have to use eye drops?
- Are there dangerous places in Goa, India
- Where do women urinate from
- Is genetics incompatible with the theory of evolution?
- How extensive are background checks
- Why is platinum a precious metal
- How long can Malaysians stay in Singapore
- Why do some people keep their money
- Has Trump ever run profitable companies
- Can I remove rust?
- Why do we have the nationality
- Why are people against Jehovah's Witnesses
- Is an optimal stop in relation to sampling in the reservoir
- Why does everything get boring
- Why is there mechanical energy
- Budapest has a good airport
- What is a diamond melting point
- What are the addicting Indian dishes
- Why are we taught to ignore outliers
- How is the salary structure in Canada
- Mintcoin is a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin
- How do you live as a Muslim in Estonia
- Can someone have a situational narcissistic personality disorder