Why did older people fart uncontrollably
It is clear to everyone that with age, something pinches more and more often here and there, eyesight deteriorates and the skin is no longer plump and wrinkle-free as it was in younger years. But our internal organs, such as our heart or digestive system, are also subject to aging processes. This is why older people are more likely to have digestive problems, even if they used to be completely symptom-free in this regard.
Age-related changes in food intake
Our digestion begins in the mouth. Here the food is chopped up and mixed with saliva. Bad teeth or poorly fitting dentures interfere with this process. In addition, less saliva is produced in old age and the taste sensation can be changed.
From the mouth, the saliva-fed food pulp takes its way towards the stomach through the esophagus. It is not a passive process. The esophagus is a muscular tube that transports food through coordinated contraction. That is why we can eat and drink lying down or standing on our head. Unfortunately, the muscle strength of the esophagus decreases over the years, which can lead to swallowing disorders.
The stomach also changes with age
Once in the stomach, the porridge is mixed with gastric juice. This contains stomach acid and enzymes to break down food. To protect itself against the acid, the stomach lining creates an alkaline mucus. However, with age, the production of gastric juice and the protective function of the gastric mucosa decrease. In addition, the stomach empties more slowly. This can lead to loss of appetite or a premature feeling of fullness. In addition, stimulants such as alcohol and nicotine, but also drugs, are sometimes poorly tolerated.
Age-related changes in the intestines
The main job of the small intestine is to further break down food and absorb nutrients and water. Unfortunately, this function is also impaired in old age. This can result in deficiency symptoms.
Our entire intestine is a muscle tube that moves the food pulp in a single direction through coordinated contractions. If the strength of the muscles decreases, the food stays in the body longer. Because of this, the elderly often suffer from constipation, which is often associated with gas, bloating, and abdominal pain.
Performance of the entire gastrointestinal system
Overall, the performance of the entire digestive system is impaired, although there is no organic disease. So it is a question of functional disorders. Even if these are not dangerous, they mean a significant reduction in the quality of life and the suffering of those affected in everyday life is enormous.
What helps with indigestion in old age?
The therapy is based on several pillars: diet adjustment, exercise, relaxation and medication that are individually tailored to the respective symptoms.
Carmenthin® for digestive disorders, the powerful duo of the essential oils of peppermint and caraway, packed in an enteric capsule, helps with flatulence, bloating, pain and cramps. The active ingredients are specifically released where complaints arise, in the intestine.
More about Carmenthin®
What are bowel problems?
Read about the causes and triggers of bowel problems.
Do you suffer from functional digestive problems? This self-test can help you to classify complaints correctly.
- Why are American streets so wide
- Why is this symbol important
- What was the first modern skyscraper
- How does education support the development of a country?
- How obesity affects your self-confidence
- What is the Most Effective Anorexic Diet
- Intelligent people are happier
- What makes your perspective unique
- Gravity interacts with time
- Who uses perimeter
- Who are the best contemporary American writers
- What's the best meal after midnight
- Why are people settling for less?
- Gabion wall is more expensive than retaining wall
- Why is life useless
- How did you get better at chess
- Is anal orgasm real
- How can I enjoy this paradoxical life
- What do you eat
- How is technology changing in construction work
- Where's Gog and Magog
- Why do people get fat
- Should enable Quora SMS notifications for notifications
- What do you prefer soup or salad
- What was Jiddu Krishnamurti's deepest idea
- Is that a stingray?
- What are some surprising things about life
- Indonesia has the ugliest women
- What is text extraction
- What were Augustus' greatest achievements
- How deep is a square meter garden
- How is a geological event determined
- How do you find simple probability