Cheese prevents weight loss
Histamine Intolerance: Everything About Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Allergies & intolerances
- Histamine intolerance
From: Laura Knops
Some people get rashes, gastrointestinal discomfort and headaches from cheese and red wine. This is due to histamine (symbol picture). © Monika Skolimowska / picture alliance / dpa
Do you have all the signs of an allergy but the doctor can't find any? In this case, a histamine intolerance could be behind it. Everything you need to know about causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment.
- red wine and cheese can in some people Allergy symptoms cause.
- The body of those affected can do this Tissue hormone histamine do not dismantle.
- Mostly it is an exact one diagnosis difficult and very tedious.
Munich - lawsuits Patient suspected of having a runny nose, rash and abdominal cramps doctor often one allergy. But are Testing and blood values negative, even the expert is usually at a loss. In this case, there may be a Histamine intolerance behind the complaints. In the intolerance can he body, that contained in food histamine do not dismantle. Eating aged cheese or drinking a glass of red wine results in an allergic reaction.
Often times, people with a Histamine intolerance a long path of suffering behind him. Not only are the symptoms mostly non-specific, there are no tests or effective treatment for them intolerance. What is histamine? How is a Histamine intolerance? And which Food contain a lot of histamine?
Histamine intolerance: You must not eat these foods
About two percent of the population, 80 percent of them women, suffer from Histamine intolerance. The intolerance is not a congenital disease, but only develops in the course of life. With age, the risk that the body becomes intolerant even increases histamine forms. Aged cheese, ready-made products and canned food - the longer a food stores, all the more histamine contains it. Even in the manufacture of many Food arises histamine. So own Productsthat are preserved with the help of bacterial or yeast cultures, large amounts of the substance. But incorrect storage can also result histamine form.
People with a Histamine intolerance should foods that histamine contain or release in the body, avoid at all costs. To the histamine-containingFood belong:
- Meat and poultry: Smoked, cured, marinated, dried meat and poultry, liver, salami, sausage, raw ham
- fish (if stored incorrectly): Herring, anchovies, tuna, mackerel, shellfish, mussels, canned fish
- Fruit: Overripe fruit, citrus fruits, bananas, pineapples, papaya, kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, canned fruit, nuts
- Vegetables: Tomatoes, spinach, sauerkraut, soy, germs, sprouts, pickled vegetables and canned vegetables
- (long matured) cheese: Parmesan, Emmentaler, Camembert, Brie, Tilsiter, Edam, Chester, Cheddar, Harzer, processed cheese
- Cereals and cereal products: Baked goods with additives, baking mixes, wheat germ
- Sweets: Chocolate, cocoa, nougat, marzipan, jam and peanut cream
- Beverages: Black and green tea, nettle tea, tomato juice, citrus fruit juices
- Alcohol: (White) beer, red wine, liqueurs, champagne and sparkling wine
- Also: Glutamate, soy sauce and other soy products, tofu and red wine vinegar
Histamine Intolerance: What Is Histamine?
Cheese, sauerkraut, and smoked fish - especially foods that mature for a long time histamine. But the substance is not only found in many Food. Histamine is a messenger substance that occurs both in food and in the body. In the human body the messenger substance, which belongs to the biogenic amines, has different tasks. So is histamine not just for muscle contraction in Airways, Intestinal tract and uterus responsible, but also has a relaxing effect on the blood vessels and increases their permeability. According to the health information service of the Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG), leaded by Jürgen Windeler (63, * 1957), histamine also has important functions in the brain. The Tissue hormone acts there as a neurotransmitter and influences, among other things, the Sleep-wake rhythm.
The pours bodytriggered by a allergicReaction, increases the body's own tissue hormone histamine in stressful situations, the typical ones occur Symptoms an allergy. The relaxing effect on the blood vessels can lead to an enormous drop in blood pressure. Does the immune system react particularly strongly to a certain one? Allergen, this can even become a allergicshock lead and thus become life-threatening.
This happens when there is a histamine intolerance in the body
We take histamine via food, this is usually not a problem for ours body. Before the messenger substance reaches our blood via the metabolism, it is largely broken down in the small intestine. Responsible for processing the Histamine is this enzymeDiamine oxidase(DAO). This enzyme is not only active in the small intestine, but also in the liver, blood and kidneys.
The human organism can usually cope with large amounts of histamine. It only becomes critical when a lot of the Messenger substance enters the intestines at once, for example when we eat spoiled fish. In this case, the metabolism usually reacts violently Symptoms.
Histamine intolerance: a lack of enzyme is to blame
People with Histamine intolerance already have with small amounts histamine to fight. Reason: You don't own enough DAO enzymes, the the histamine can break down. Take Food with histamine, this can lead to severe discomfort in those affected. In addition to an enzyme deficiency can also be strong histamine-containingFood, taking other biogenic amines (such as serotonin) or an acute gastrointestinal infection, provoke allergy-like symptoms.
Histamine intolerance: symptoms
Reddening of the skin, abdominal pain and palpitations, but also listlessness, feelings of weakness and severe weight loss - mostly they are Symptoms very unspecific in the case of histamine intolerance. Often they occur right after the eat on, but it can also close hours later stomach pain and severe cramps come. These delays make it even more difficult to find the triggers.
histamine is a tissue hormone and is found everywhere in the body in front. In addition to the skin, lungs, stomach and intestines, the active ingredient is also released in the brain. There controls histamine including the sleep-wake rhythm. It comes to one Release of histamine, this leads to the whole organism too unpleasant reactions: on the skin Blisters and wheals form, the vasodilator effect is responsible for the development of migraine responsible, Difficulty breathing occur by narrowing the Vessels in the bronchi on and in stomach The release of histamine provokes the formation of gastric acid.
Histamine intolerance: these are the most common complaints
At a allergicreaction the pours body increased histamine according to researchers, the Technical University of Munich (TUM) the following Symptomsoccur:
- Redness of the skin
- skin rash
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach cramps and abdominal pain
- Flatulence / bloating
- Racing heart
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Drop in blood pressure
- Headaches and migraines
In the worst case it can lead to one allergicshock and thus life-threatening conditions.
Histamine intolerance: diagnosis
The diagnosis one Histamine intolerance is very tedious in most cases. To date there is none testwho the intolerance can prove with certainty. So it stays doctor nothing other than a detailed anamnesis other than others Allergies and exclude diseases. If the suspicion is confirmed that a Histamine intolerance behind the Symptoms is usually one Nutritional advice the best point of contact for those affected.
Histamine intolerance: this is how the doctor can determine the intolerance
With help of a Food diary can patients find out which Food they tolerate and which cause problems. Those affected have to write down exactly what they eat when and how you eat over a period of several weeks body responds to it. In the context of nutritional advice, this protocol is based on possible Allergy trigger examined.
An elimination diet in which histamine-containingFood Avoiding it over a long period of time is the safest way to avoid the intolerance ascertain. On a histamine diet, patients avoid all histamine-rich and histamine-releasing foods for four weeks. Do they get better Symptoms at this time, that speaks for a Histamine intolerance. In the subsequent provocation phase, those affected intentionally eat foods that contain histamines Food. If the symptoms return, the patient is likely to have one Histamine intolerance.
Histamine intolerance: alcohol should be avoided
Paprika instead of tomato, young cheese instead of mature, nothing smoked and no alcohol - so far there has been no change in diet besides a strict diet therapyagainst histamine intolerance. But those affected do not have to be histamine-containing for their entire life Food dispense. Instead, everyone should patient find out individually for yourself what amount of histamine he tolerates and integrate these foods into everyday life. There is hope that the body will reconnect at some point histamine used.
Histamine intolreanz: treatment with drugs
In addition to a Diet change Medicines can also relieve the symptoms. However, taking it should be more of an exception than the rule for those affected. Only in an emergency, for example when traveling or in a restaurant, when foods containing histamine medication can help. Prescribes the doctor for example Antihistamines, can do this at allergic symptoms improve quickly.
Tips for histamine intolerance:
- Food from the fridge Eat directly and do not allow to warm to room temperature.
- flesh and fishalways buy fresh and don't reheat.
- Long storage of Food avoid - freeze the food rather fresh one.
- Glutamate and other Flavor enhancers can do the Histamine breakdown prevent, avoid this Additives absolutely.
- Better buy Dairy productsand boys cheese like young Gouda cheese, cream cheese, quark and butter cheese instead of Cheesesthat mature long.
- Most Vegetables contain very little histamine - You can therefore eat these without any problems.
- Decrease yours Alcohol consumption - A small glass of white wine, sparkling wine or pilsner is better tolerated than red wine or wheat beer.
This article contains only general information on the respective health topic and is therefore not intended for self-diagnosis, treatment or medication. Under no circumstances does it replace a visit to the doctor. Unfortunately, our editors are not allowed to answer individual questions about clinical pictures.
- How modern is the infrastructure of Malaysia
- How did Hans Zimmer's career begin?
- How has gender equality affected our society?
- What are the biggest mistakes freelancers make
- Can you be pansexual and polysexual
- How often are citizenships denied in Canada?
- What's the best advice no one is saying
- What are the characteristics of highly sexual people?
- What is a permanent ETF portfolio
- What type of body does a woman love?
- The Planck constant applies to electrons
- What constitutes effective market research
- Contains a modern penny of copper
- How many servers does Quora currently have
- How much does yacht time sharing cost
- What are serial numbers and consecutive numbers
- Are there affordable web development services
- How were catapults designed in the Middle Ages
- What are the effects of a tsunami
- How do I deal with a bipolar person
- What are some of the coolest business ideas
- How do currency exchange rates affect airlines?
- The gym is a waste of time
- What's your favorite vanilla drink