Which stage of cancer is curable
Colon Cancer Diagnosis - What Can I Expect?
At a glance: colon cancer
- Colon cancer in the early stages is when the cancer has not spread to other organs. Then it is often curable.
- A distinction is made between cancer in the large intestine (colon) and cancer in the rectum. Different recommendations sometimes apply to both.
- For colon cancer in the early stages, the experts recommend surgery.
- Sometimes radiation or chemotherapy accompanying the operation can improve the chances of recovery.
How is colon cancer diagnosed?
What does "early stage colon cancer" mean?
- Stage I: The cancer is limited to the muscle layer of the intestine.
- Stage II: The cancer has reached the outer layer of the intestinal wall or has grown into neighboring tissue.
- Stage III: The cancer has affected the surrounding lymph nodes, but no other organs.
- Stage IV: The cancer has affected other organs.
How is the disease progressing in the "early stage"?
- 95 out of 100 people with stage I colon cancer
- 85 out of 100 people with stage II colon cancer
- 60 out of 100 people with stage III colon cancer
How is early stage colon cancer treated?
In the early stages, the goal is to cure the disease. That is why the experts recommend an operation for stages I to III. The surgical team not only removes the section of the intestine that is affected by cancer. To be on the safe side, it also cuts out enough healthy tissue - a slightly larger part of the intestine.
Complementary treatment for cancer of the colon
- Stage III patients should receive concomitant chemotherapy. In high-quality studies, 10 to 14 out of 100 treated patients had a survival advantage as a result.
- The data situation is not clear for patients in stage II. There is some evidence that additional chemotherapy may help some patients with aggressive cancer.
- Stage I patients do not benefit from additional chemotherapy. You should therefore not receive any.
Complementary treatment for cancer of the rectum
- Patients in stage II and III should receive additional radiation before the operation, possibly in conjunction with chemotherapy (radiochemotherapy). Meaningful studies show that this can prevent some relapses. Radiation in conjunction with chemotherapy is somewhat more effective, but also has more side effects. These treatments work better before the operation than afterwards. They are also tolerated a little better. The studies could not show that they increase survival time. Anyone who received chemoradiotherapy before the operation should also receive chemotherapy after the operation.
- Stage I patients do not benefit from complementary treatment. You should therefore not receive any.
What you can do yourself
- Even if the sphincter is retained during the operation, it can cause problems with bowel movements. Be patient: it can take a few months, sometimes years, for these problems to improve. Pelvic floor exercises or physiotherapy can help.
- Anyone who receives an artificial anus can usually learn to live with it. Many sufferers can go back to their everyday lives after a while. Travel, sport or physical work are also often possible. It can be helpful to speak openly about it with friends, colleagues, or in a support group.
- If you are under severe emotional stress, you can take advantage of psycho-oncological help. Talk to your treating doctors about it.
Information sheet "Diagnosing Colon Cancer - What to Expect?"
german (pdf - 75 kB)
arabic (pdf - 75 kB)
english (pdf - 55 kB)
french (pdf - 69 kB)
russian (pdf - 61 kB)
spanish (pdf - 60 kB)
Turkish (pdf - 56 kB)
Source: Medical Center for Quality in Medicine (ÄZQ)
- Are citrus fruits keto-friendly
- What prevents healthy heads
- Is veganism morally compulsory
- How would your friends describe you
- What are the top solutions for digital healthcare
- What questions do data scientists hate
- Do fraternal twins have identical DNA?
- Why is the skin of my face peeling?
- What are people's opinions on feminism
- Are there any secret ramen noodle recipes
- Is Langkawi safe
- What are high paying jobs in Canada
- What is it like to eat healthily on a budget?
- What determines a specialized animal cell
- Which country is culturally closest to Indonesia
- When does your Memorial Day weekend start
- How do Nerf blasters work
- Wordpress is a free blogging website
- What makes a good student tutor?
- What is 1 mole of electrons
- What is the rarest Volvo car
- What does 369
- What do the Portuguese think of Macau?
- Are the Apple AirPods overrated