Can I work on a multiple entry visa?

Schengen visa categories and their validity

A Schengen visa that is obtained from one of the Schengen member countries enables its holder to move freely within the entire Schengen area with regard to the Schengen members of the European Union and the EFTA Schengen members until it is valid.

Depending on the type of visa issued by the respective embassy / consulate of a Schengen country, different restrictions apply to the respective visa depending on the type of travel and other relevant circumstances.

The uniform Schengen visa (USV)

The uniform Schengen visa stands for a permit from a member state of the Schengen area, for a certain period of time up to a maximum of 90 days, every six months from the date of entry.

Holders of a uniform Schengen visa can travel to the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Depending on the purpose of the trip, the uniform Schengen visa applies to all two categories, “A” and “C”.

  • The category "A" stands for the airport transit visa with which the holder can cross the international zone of the airport of the Schengen country without entering the Schengen area. An airport transit visa is for citizens who are traveling from a non-Schengen country to another non-Schengen country, but the flight change takes place in a Schengen country.
  • The category "C" stands for a short-term visa with which the holder can stay in a Schengen area for a certain period of time, depending on the validity of the visa. This particular category can be purchased in the following form, depending on the purpose of the trip:
    • Single entry visa,
    • Double entry visa and
    • Multiple entry visa.

Single entry visa

With a single-entry visa, the holder can only enter the Schengen area once within a certain period of time, as indicated in the visa stamp on their passport. Once the visa holder has left the Schengen area, they cannot return, even if they have not spent the number of days there allowed by the embassy that issued the visa.

Some people confuse the entry visa with the thought that it is the number of countries the visa holder is allowed to enter that only allows them to enter a single country. In fact, the area you are allowed to visit will"Valid for" marked on your visa label for the time you are allowed to stay with "Number of arriving" is specified.

Double entry visa

In general, a double-entry visa is the same as the single-entry visa explained above. The only difference between a single-entry visa and a double-entry visa is that the second visa allows you to return to the Schengen area once you leave it.

You should be very careful not to exceed the number of days you are allowed to stay in the Schengen zone as well as the length of time you can spend those days in the EU. Do not mix up the double entry with the number of countries you are allowed to enter.

If you leave the Schengen area for the second time with this visa, you no longer have the right to re-enter the Schengen area, even if you have not spent all the days there as specified in your visa. However, if you have received a double-entry visa more than once and you travel to the Schengen area frequently, you are more likely to obtain a multiple-entry visa, as explained below.

Multiple entry visa

With a multiple-entry visa, the holder can enter and leave the Schengen area as often as he wants, as long as he does not violate the 90/180 rule.

Depending on how often you travel to the Schengen Zone, you can apply for one of the following types of multiple visas:

  • 1 year visa for multiple entries
  • 3 year visa for multiple entries
  • 5 year visa for multiple entries

Annual multiple entry visa

You can get this visa if you have obtained and properly used three visas in the past two years. When applying for this visa, you will need to provide proof of your previous visas and travel to the Schengen zone.

With the 1-year MEV visa, you have the right to enter the Schengen area as often as you like, as long as you do not stay longer than 90 days in this period.

3-year multiple entry visa

The 3-year MEV is granted to applicants who have received and properly used a one-year visa in the past two years.

With this visa, the holder can enter the Schengen area as often as they want within three years. Even in this case, however, the visa holder is limited to not staying in the EU for more than 90 days within a period of 180 days.

5-year multiple entry visa

5-year MEV are granted to people who have received and lawfully used a previous multiple visa with a validity of at least two years within the last three years.

With this visa you can enter 26 European countries as often as you like within five years, as long as you do not break the 90/180 day rule.

Visa with limited territorial validity (LTV)

With this type of visa, you can only travel to the Schengen country specified on your visa, or in some other cases in the specific Schengen countries that were specifically mentioned when applying for the visa. Apart from these Schengen countries, this special visa is for all other Schengen countries invalid.

The holder of this type of visa cannot enter or cross another Schengen country that is not the first and final destination. This type of visa is issued in very special cases such as for humanitarian reasons or international obligations as an exception to the common UPS system. This type of visa can apply to people who do not yet have a valid travel document and who need to travel to a Schengen area in an emergency of any kind.

National Visa

The national category “D” visa is issued to certain people who want to study, work or stay there permanently in one of the Schengen countries. The national visa can be a single entry granted to the person who wishes to stay in the Schengen country for a certain period of time and for a single purpose.

On the other hand, a national multiple-entry visa is also issued for certain people, with which the holder can enter this Schengen country at will and travel across the entire Schengen area without an additional visa requirement.

In order to obtain a national multiple entry visa, one must meet certain criteria, as follows:

  • An international student program grants a visa for a maximum of one year.
  • An international student who is about to begin a full course of study in one of the Schengen countries. The visa is reissued for a period of one year, with the possibility of renewal.
  • An educational work at a higher institution or research center in one of the Schengen countries in relation to the person and their close family members.
  • A professional who travels in one of the Schengen countries based on his / her expertise, be it an athlete, an artist or another professional of his kind, to share his / her expertise.
  • Emergencies such as an illness that prevents the person from leaving the Schengen area at the specified time.

Schengen visa types according to the purpose of your trip

When an applicant fills out the Schengen visa application form, they must also select a purpose for which to make the application for entry into the Schengen area.

Below are these purposes and an explanation of what each of them stand for:

Airport transit - This purpose of entry is intended for people who have to cross the international zone of an airport in a Schengen country without entering the Schengen country. The Schengen states have drawn up a very narrow list of countries whose nationals must be in possession of this visa.

transit- This is very similar to the purpose of travel discussed earlier. Most of the time, foreign seafarers who only have to stop at a seaport in a Member State for a very short time check this purpose of the trip in their application form.

Tourismus- one of the most famous reasons for traveling to the Schengen zone. Individuals planning to visit any of the countries in that area for sightseeing such as the culture, architecture, food and much more should select this purpose in their application form.

Visiting friends or family - People with family members or friends who are legally resident in the Schengen area can apply for this visa if they want to visit them. There are some specific requirements for this visa that the applicant must meet in order for the application to be successful, such as: B. an invitation letter.

Business - Many people frequently travel to and from the Schengen countries for business reasons. There are many advantages to applying for such a visa, such as: B. the possibility to get a faster appointment for the application for a visa in the high season if the number of applications is larger.

Official visit - If you travel to the Schengen area for business reasons, you must tick "Official visit" on your application form. You must check this visa purpose even if you are traveling with a large delegation with identical travel dates and official purposes.

Medical reasons- If you are traveling to one of the member states of the Schengen area in order to receive medical treatment, you should select “medical reasons” in your application form. With this visa, patients can get the medical care they need within 180 days for a period of three months.

Study purposes- Schoolchildren and students who want to attend any type of educational institution such as university courses, language courses for a period of less than three months can apply for a Schengen study visa. If you have to take an entrance exam for a school or university in the Schengen area, you should also tick this visa.

Culture, sports and film teams a visa for people who live outside the Schengen area and want to travel to Europe to attend a cultural, sports, religious or film meeting. The applicant takes part in the event as, e.g. B. Artists at a concert or as a writer presenting their book at a book fair should tick this purpose.

Different reasons - If your purpose of entry into the Schengen area does not correspond to any of the above purposes, you must tick the option “Other” in the application form. However, you still need to provide the reason for your application. Your options are no more than one short, simple sentence. This means that if you want to enter a Member State to take part in a religious event or something similar, you can enter “Religious purposes”.

Difference between the visa validity and the length of stay

Apart from a multiple-entry visa, which allows you to stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days, the validity of your single-entry or double-entry visa depends on the embassy.

The embassy determines the number of days you can stay in one of the Schengen countries, the first day you can enter the Schengen area and the last day you have to leave the country.

This is the point where many people get confused because they don't realize it there is a difference between the validity of the visa and the length of stay on a visa.

Length of stay - indicates the maximum number of days you can stay in the Schengen area. The first day on which you enter the Schengen area is counted as "Day 1", even if you only enter a few minutes before midnight. The “last day” is counted on the day on which you leave the Schengen area, even if it is only a few minutes after midnight.

Period of validity of the visa - The validity period of the visa is the period from which you can enter and stay in the Schengen area with your visa.

Example: The length of stay on your visa is 10 days, while the validity of your visa is from January 1st to January 20th. In this case, you can enter the Schengen area at any time during this period. You can enter on January 3rd and leave on January 12th. If you enter on January 15th, you will still have to leave on January 20th even though you have not spent the number of days that were granted to you.

In the other case, if you have a double-entry visa with a visa from January 1st to March 1st and a stay of 10 days, you can enter the Schengen area twice within this period. You cannot stay longer than 10 days on either trip. If you stay 7 days during the first trip, you can stay a maximum of three days on the second trip. If you only go on one trip and spend 10 days in one of the member states, you will not have the right to enter the country even though your visa is still valid.

If you have a three-year multiple-entry visa that becomes valid on January 15, 2018, you can enter and exit the Schengen area at any time up to January 15, 2021. Remember that there is a 90-day deadline for any 180-day period.

90/180 Schengen visa rule

Another point where most of the multiple entry Schengen visa holders are confused. Most people believe that the 180 day period starts on the day your visa becomes valid, which it doesn't.

In fact, the 180-day period continues. So if you want to enter the Schengen area, you just have to count back the last 180 days and check whether you were present in the Schengen area for more than 90 days during this period.

Use this Schengen Visa calculator to check the remaining number of days you can stay in the Schengen Zone.

Visa label

All of the above information can be found on your Schengen Visa sticker affixed to your passport. Many people are confused because they do not know how to read and interpret the labels attached to a visa. Because of this, we wrote a whole post about that.

“Understanding Visa Label Correctly” that will help you understand everything that is written on your visa.

Schengen visa extension

Schengen visa extensions for short stays are permitted in accordance with Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council (EC) No. 810/2009 of 13 July 2009 on the introduction of a Community Visa Code (Journal of Laws of the EU from 2009 L243 / 1). However, your chances of getting an extension are very slim if you do not provide a valid reason for your application.

According to the Schengen Visa Policy, only the following reasons are allowed to extend a Schengen short-stay visa:

  • Late entry,
  • humanitarian reasons,
  • Violence,
  • important personal reasons.

For more information, see Extending a Schengen Visa.

Last Updated on February 20, 2020