Why are so many Americans overweight
More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight
According to a recent data analysis, more than two-thirds of American adults are overweight or obese. This was the result of an extrapolation of data from the US health authority CDC presented in the specialist magazine "JAMA Internal Medicine". Almost 75 percent of US men and 67 percent of women are now affected - in 1999 the values were 63 and 55 percent.
"Numbers are wake-up calls"
In their analysis, the scientists at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis (US state Missouri) included the data of a good 15,000 men and women aged 25 and over from the years 2007 to 2012.
According to this, almost 32 million US men (35 percent) and almost 36 million women (37 percent) are now obese. Almost 40 percent of men and 30 percent of women are classified as overweight. In total, almost 133 million of the 188 million Americans of this age are overweight.
According to lead author Lin Yang, the numbers are a wake-up call. The health authorities need to develop strategies to combat overweight and obesity. This also included efforts to reduce the risks and change people's behavior. Obesity is an important factor in the development of chronic diseases of the heart and respiratory tract, diabetes, high blood pressure and some types of cancer. (APA, June 23, 2015)
Obesity is usually measured using the relationship between body weight and height, the body mass index (BMI). People with a BMI of 25 to 29.9 are classified as overweight, while values of 30 and more are called obesity.
- What is Newborn Absence Syndrome
- Are manta rays dangerous
- What is the best workflow management platform
- How many significant digits does 110 have
- Why is customer service important
- What makes people charming
- What is the diet of cricketers
- Any country is using non-fiat money
- Do you have an adventurous life
- Why do we sleep
- What are the most frequently broken laws
- Why do feelings change in relationships
- What is your favorite computer chair
- Can you write a guest post for us?
- Why is Google Stadia so awful
- What is the longest possible Scrabble word
- Bangladesh regards them as Pakistani
- All alcoholic beverages taste bad
- Why are international calls expensive
- Are vegetarian diets okay?
- Sex improves the skin
- What's your best advice on backpacking
- Can the reception of refugees improve the economy
- Will my completely broken nail grow back