He died a correct sentence himself
10 proofs that commas matter
German language difficult language? The rules around commas alone show that this much-quoted sentence is not just an empty phrase.
Commas can save lives - or at least avoid major misunderstandings. Don't you think so? Here are ten examples to smile about!
1. Prohibition or request?
Now what - should we turn off the computer or not? The upper sentence says the second, the lower the first. We are confused!
2. When punctuation marks save lives
"And, was Grandpa tasty?" ... Or rather: "And, was it delicious, Grandpa?"
3. Who is speaking?
Who says who can't drive a car? In the first example, the man says that the woman cannot drive. In the second sentence the woman says that the man cannot. Crazy what punctuation can do, right?
4. How a compliment becomes an insult
Believe us: a comma can destroy relationships. In the second example, "far and wide" is after the comma to describe the bottom, while "far and wide" without a comma means "as far as the eye can see".
5. Really good stuff ?!
"Please do not smoke the guests" vs. "Please do not smoke" - sometimes it makes sense to simply rephrase the sentence if you are not so sure about the punctuation. Not that anyone else gets stupid thoughts!
6. Then not ...?
This is how quickly a simple question can turn into a passive-aggressive defensive stance.
7. Who wants to - and who doesn't?
In the example above, he just doesn't want her, below he wants her, but she doesn't want him. Complicated huh?
8. Quarrel at school
So who is better off, pupil or teacher? In the example above it is the teachers, in the example below it is the students.
9. A choice of life and death
Aside from the fact that it is best not to kill anyone, these two sentences have completely opposite statements. The first sentence someone is released, the second sentence someone is killed.
10. Lost in punctuation marks
Hopefully the addressee will at least understand whether he is following someone himself or whether others are following him! Otherwise it could make a pretty funny picture ...
This topic in the program:
N-JOY | Kuhlage and Hardeland - The N-JOY Morning Show | 09/24/2019 | 05:00 am
- How big can a marine animal get
- How do the Japanese see foreigners
- Drinking warm water reduces cholesterol levels
- How can I be personable
- What are your leadership qualities
- How do I start international affiliate marketing
- Why did JFK's limo almost stop
- Have you ever had an MFM threesome
- What did Nostradamus predict about Hinduism?
- What happens if FIR files against us
- Change is the scariest thing
- Could nuclear fusion run effectively on water
- What was your best chance discovery
- Is it possible to turn something at the speed of light?
- What informs virtue ethics
- What is the treatment of personality disorders
- What do farm animals make for fun
- Where can I sell my used clothes
- Why do people drink tea with cigarettes
- What are the requirements of human life
- Why do supermarkets use barcodes
- What makes AWS so attractive for companies
- Is coffee worse than drinking soda
- When will it snow in Paris?