How safe is America to travel
Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office
Entry into the USA
On January 25, 2021, the previously applicable entry ban for people who were in Germany or another country in the Schengen area within a period of 14 days before entering the USA was renewed until further notice by means of a Presidential Proclamation. Entry restrictions apply to prior stays in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil and South Africa.
Exempt from prohibition: US citizens, legal permanent residents (“green card” holders), close relatives of US citizens and legal permanent residents, diplomats or employees of international organizations
Please note that since March 2nd, 2021, when you (re) travel to the USA within a period of 14 days from departure from the Schengen area, Great Britain and Ireland, there are also extensive restrictions on issuing a NIE (National Interest Exceptions) / waiver exist, which mainly concern business travelers (new criterion: activity in the area of critical infrastructures). The entry of professional athletes and their relatives to participate in sports competitions and the like is no longer permitted. Before you leave the country, clarify Areas with the US consulate responsible for you in Germany, whether your work in the USA falls under the exceptions of the Presidential Proclamation of January 25, 2021, for which a NIE for re-entry can be applied for.
The Presidential Proclamation of June 22nd, 2020 regarding the issuing of non-immigrant visas (F, M, certain J visas and some work visas) was repealed with the Presidential Proclamation of February 24th, 2021. Please check regularly information from the US consulates in Germany on the current visa issuance.
Further entry requirements to the USA
Before entering the USA, travelers must submit a negative corona test (PCR test or antigen test) electronically or in paper form to airlines, which must not be older than three days. People who were infected with COVID within three months of departure must provide the airline with appropriate evidence. Masks are required during the flight and at the airports.
Another corona test within three to five days of entry is recommended. Please note the quarantine recommendations of the "Centers for Disease Control and Prevention" (CDC) and the respective quarantine regulations at the state and local level.
Other COVID-related restrictions
The land borders with Mexico and Canada will remain largely closed to passenger traffic for the time being.
Entry into Germany
Entry restrictions apply to Germany when entering from the USA. Entry is therefore only possible in exceptional cases. The prerequisite is that there is an absolute necessity.
Important: Holders of a valid German passport can enter the Federal Republic of Germany at any time - even if there are entry restrictions.
Exceptions to the entry restrictions
The current exceptions to the entry restrictions can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Building and Home Affairs.
For US citizens entry is still possible possible without a visa, provided you have one of the listed there Exceptionscan prove to the airline and border authorities.
Please note that the currently valid exceptions to the entry restrictions are known to the airlines.
Digital entry registration
Before arriving in Germany, travelers must register at www.einreiseanmeldung.de and have the confirmation of registration with them upon entry. Transit travelers who enter Germany and then immediately travel on to another country do not have to register their entry digitally.
All travelers aged 6 and over who are arriving by plane in the Federal Republic of Germany must have themselves tested before departure. Exceptions apply to completely vaccinated or recovered People who need this no negative test present more before departure.
- As vaccinated applies to who has received all the required vaccine doses of a Covid 19 vaccine listed on the Paul Ehrlich Institute website. At least 14 days must have passed since the last vaccination dose. Proof of vaccination is required upon entry into written form (e.g. CDC card) or digitally (a mobile phone photo is not sufficient). In addition, vaccinated persons must not show any relevant symptoms.
- As recovered applies to anyone who can prove a previous Covid infection using a positive PCR test that was at least 28 days and a maximum of 6 months ago and has no relevant symptoms.
who is not fully vaccinated or has recovered, must present a negative Covid test before departure. There will be both PCR tests as well as Rapid antigen tests accepted. A list of approved rapid antigen tests that meet the requirements of the RKI for entry can be found here. The smear of the PCR test may have been taken no more than 72 hours before entering Germany, and in the case of the rapid antigen test, a maximum of 48 hours.
Transit travelers, which is the international transit zone in Frankfurt or Munich do not leave, will also not have to prove a negative test before departure in the future.
Basically, you have to go home immediately after arrival - or to some other accommodation at the destination - and isolate yourself for ten days (quarantine at home). The domestic quarantine ends prematurely, when a Vaccination certificate, a Proof of recovery or a negative test evidence is transmitted via the entry portal of the Federal Republic of Germany at www.einreiseanmeldung.de.
You can find detailed information on mandatory testing and quarantine here
Please also inform yourself about possible covid-related requirements of the respective airline before departure.
- Why do starchy foods cause constipation
- Have you tried the Ketodiaet
- What are the effects of risk behavior
- At what level does tympole develop
- Can stars have rings like Saturn?
- Why do people exclude shy people
- What do vitamin D levels mean
- Does MIT have a high suicide rate
- How can young people promote gender equality
- Dark matter is only potential
- When does Google Earth take pictures
- Teenage boy sucking pacifier
- How do I learn app development 1
- Can a public hospital do abortions?
- When is it useful to have a penny?
- What do the countries believe in education?
- Is email marketing still working?
- Is mining still profitable with Antminer S9
- The minimum wage rises
- Is dark matter a new ether
- Can God change his mind?
- What percentage of Germans can speak English?
- How important is belief in your own life
- Have you ever stolen something while traveling?