What do Lutherans believe

Evangelical Lutheran Church Congregation Lindenberg

In the year 15 BC. The Romans under Drusus and Tiberius conquered our present living space, which had been inhabited by Celtic tribes for centuries. Today's Western Allgäu became part of the Roman province of Raetia and the important Roman road from Bregenz (Brigantium) via Kempten (Cambodunum) to Augsburg (Augusta Vindelicorum) ran north of today's Lindenberg through the area of ​​today's places Opfenbach, Heimenkirch, Röthenbach, Grünenbach and Maierhöfen, now all places of our parish.

Initially, Christianity was only able to expand little in the Roman Empire. The Christians were persecuted. The turn in favor of Christianity as a religion, initiated by Constantine I at the beginning of the 4th century, had hardly any significance for our region, as the Western Roman Empire largely fell apart and pagan, Germanic peoples (Alemanni, Suebi) entered ours during the migration Invaded the region and then became part of the new Franconian Empire. The Christian faith was only able to gain a foothold in the eastern Lake Constance region around the year 610 through the missionary work of the Irish monks Columban and Gallus. With Charlemagne's coronation as emperor and the later establishment of the Holy Roman Empire, Christianity gained increasing importance and the church also gained political power in the course of the Middle Ages.

The area of ​​our current parish changed its secular master several times in the Middle Ages. In the late Middle Ages until the Reformation, it belonged to the County of Montfort. The Monforts sold their land piece by piece to the House of Habsburg. Finally, in 1523, our area was almost entirely Habsburg; it now belonged to Austria and Vorarlberg. Only the places Wohmbrechts and Maria-Thann of today's political community Hergatz were not affected by this change of rule, as they belonged to the Free Imperial City of Wangen as the surrounding area and were only separated from it in 1810.

During the Reformation, most of the imperial cities took part in the great ecclesiastical renewal and professed the Protestant faith, for example in our Swabian homeland Lindau, Ravensburg, Isny, Leutkirch, Memmingen and Kempten. The imperial city of Wangen, however, remained Roman Catholic. In rural areas, the belief of the subjects was based on the belief of the sovereign. The House of Habsburg remained Catholic. This means that the entire area on which our current parish is located remained uniformly Catholic at the time of the Reformation. Although various families, some of them influential, also committed to the Reformation (e.g. the Imperial Knights von Laubenberg in Grünenbach, the Hinterofen in Muthen / Wohmbrechts, etc.), they were unable to assert themselves against the major church politics in the country. People of different faiths had to leave the country and seek refuge in a country of their faith. Greater religious tolerance in the state and society did not develop until the Enlightenment at the end of the 18th century.

At the beginning of the 19th century there were significant territorial changes in the course of the Napoleonic wars, which have remained in our area to this day. Ultimately, the previously Austrian West Allgäu was added to the newly created Kingdom of Bavaria. Numerous former domains and imperial cities of Protestant faith were also integrated into the Kingdom of Bavaria. The new Bavarian constitution allowed its citizens to settle freely and practice their religion, so that a gradual intermingling of denominations could occur. As a result of various waves of influx, people of Protestant faith came to our previously purely Catholic area.