Abraham Lincoln was a racist
Was Lincoln a Racist?
The best texts that appear in the New York Times on historical topics are in most cases reviews of current books - because, in contrast to Germany, the distinction between non-fiction and specialist books only exists there in a few cases, which is why a wider newspaper audience in the Enjoy the newer theses, trends and debates from historical research.
So here too: In the new publication "Lincoln and the Abolitionists" by the emeritus professor Fred Kaplan, he argues quite harshly that Lincoln was indeed in favor of the abolition of slavery, but more for moral reasons than the conviction that African-Americans are equal Rights in the United States - according to this line of argument, Lincoln would be a racist by today's standards.
Fortunately, the New York Times does not have student interns write such reviews, but rather experts. And so Eric Foner can deal with Kaplan's contribution, who won the Pulitzer Prize for History with a book about Lincoln and slavery. Foner works out precisely and nevertheless clearly legible that Kaplan is right in some places, but withholds the realpolitik orientation of the US president - a politician of the middle of the 19th century who argues with conviction and resolutely anti-racist arguments might be more sympathetic to us, but he would be now once neither became president nor could he have abolished slavery.
- How small is a photon
- Which foods should I try in Switzerland?
- How long can retirees stay in Malaysia
- Are Hong Kong people racist towards Indonesians
- How often do illegal streaming sites shut down
- Can be cut blue spruce
- Will digital marketing work in 2020
- How do B2B predictive marketing tools work
- What's the scariest paradox you know
- What's the worst part about sailing
- Which was cool before kids ruined it
- What are the symptoms of first love
- How much does a Chicken McNugget weigh
- Do women really need sex
- What is biopharmaceutical
- Why do guys use emojis like
- What are five causes of obesity
- Why shouldn't there be Black History Month?
- What things are not important in life
- Can Chinese do 1 a day
- How do countries benefit from illegal immigration
- Is Reuters fake news
- Does the concept of modernity really exist?
- Are the medicines of mankind all equally effective?
- Which country code is +91
- What is in-depth PR
- Which runways at the airport are the most dangerous
- What are some interesting facts about Nazis
- What is an intellectual property lawyer
- What is foot walk in terms of measurement
- What should an obese person eat
- Is honey vegan
- What does an IQ of 123