How do I do well in school
Michaela Huber works as a school psychologist at the Oskar-von-Miller-Gymnasium in Munich. As a specialist seminar teacher, she is also responsible for the training of trainee lawyers.
SZ.de: Ms. Huber, what causes school children the most stress?
Michaela Huber: Unfortunately, it's often and unconsciously the parents. Many have too little distance from school, have fears themselves and are therefore unable to give their children a sensible and stress-free relationship to learning. Many of these parents believe that the only way to achieve something in life is to go to high school and graduate from high school. And not just any high school diploma, it has to be a very good one.
Does the parent stress factor affect all children equally?
No, it is particularly bad for the sensitive and more adjusted children, those who want to please everyone. They feel their parents' fear and this gives them the impulse to have to do everything perfectly. When such stressful parents come to my office hours without wanting to, I like to say: "Go to the pharmacy, buy a large bottle of 'Cheerful Calmness' and take 20 drops three times a day." Only if the parents have confidence in the years of child-rearing work they have done can their schoolchild develop well and in a relaxed manner.
Parents should just let their children do it?
It depends: Parents have to look at their children objectively: Doesn't the child feel like trying to avoid any exertion or is supposedly not in the mood because they are stressed and overwhelmed. In the second case, parents have to organize a counterweight to the school so that there are safe rooms that the children need to switch off. You shouldn't spend hours studying math with your children on Sunday, but get on your bike and go on a nice bike ride together. After that, you might be able to help the children learn again.
So the parents should set other priorities.
Many parents have little time for their children due to work. But when it comes to school, they suddenly take their time. Dad comes home early from the office because the daughter is taking a math exam the next day. That is a fatal signal for the children! The school experiences an unnecessarily excessive increase and that rightly causes the children stomach pain in the long term.
How can you stop the focus on school?
Very simple: Parents should signal to their children that there are other important issues besides school; that emptying the dishwasher is also important or the mentioned bike tour. The more relevant topics there are in a child's life, the more relative school becomes. That means: Parents should take emptying the dishwasher as important and demand it as they do studying.
- Could AI ever win the imagination?
- How are foreigners treated in Turkey
- Cell phone use can cause cancer
- Why does 1 + 1 make 2 and not 3
- Have you played Death Stranding before?
- What loves and hates Donald Trump
- How is an extremely rare disease defined
- How did Appalachia get so poor
- Why should a teenager have a pacifier
- What does the Bible say about retribution
- Why is a motor called a motor
- What does the term minimum wage mean?
- Why is marketing important in communication
- Dual citizenship is illegal in Singapore
- Why do websites use web analytics tools
- How much have Americans influenced Mexican food
- Wedding invitations should all be in capital letters
- What is promotional SMS versus transactional SMS
- What is Independenceday
- How do I make Taiwanese friends
- How does Traveloka generate income
- What is the brutal truth about WordPress
- How does the universe create life itself
- To whom do the countries pay their debts