What if Antarctica didn't exist?
What would the world look like if all the ice had melted
If we continue to burn fossil fuels almost indefinitely, global warming will eventually melt all the ice in the poles and mountaintops, raising sea levels by 216 feet.
Here you can see what the world's new coasts would look like. These animations first appeared in the September 2013 issue of National Geographic magazine. The maps show today's world, with only one difference: all the ice on land has melted and flowed into the seas. Sea levels have risen 216 feet, creating new coastlines for the continents and inland seas.
Background: There are more than five million cubic miles (10,420 million cubic kilometers) of ice on Earth. Some scientists predict it would take more than 5,000 years to melt all of this. However, if we keep adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, we will very likely create an ice-free planet with an average temperature of perhaps 80 degrees Fahrenheit (26.7 ° C) instead of the current 58 (14.4 ° C).
In the animation you can see that some metropolises of Europe would disappear: Lisbon, Barcelona, Brussels, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Riga, Talin, St. Petersburg, Rome and Venice would disappear from the map. North America: The entire Atlantic coast, as well as Florida and the Gulf coast, would no longer exist. In California, the San Francisco Hills, a group of islands would emerge; the Central Valley would become a huge bay. The Gulf of California would stretch north, past the width of San Diego - without there being another San Diego.
German Society for Solar Energy e.V. | National Geographic 2017
- Why do feelings change in relationships
- What fruits should I eat every day
- How can I be accepted on Google
- What's wrong with being flat and materialistic
- What are the benefits of voting
- In which direction is time moving for you
- Chinese people use Instagram
- What is a fast life
- How is NUS Life Sciences
- How big is your Minecraft server
- What if Cho Chang dies
- How is colloidal gold made
- How would you define humanity
- What are the disadvantages of buying cryptocurrencies
- What problems will vegetarians have in Japan?
- Why do Taiwanese hate being called Chinese?
- What are the causes of a disaster
- Is the room flat or what
- How do exchange rates affect the business?
- Who is the next David Foster Wallace
- What causes fruits to ripen
- Is YouTube politically biased
- Was Trump's chat with Ukraine innocent
- Why does Quora regulate freedom of speech