Are chia seeds good for weight loss?
Losing weight with chia seeds: does it work?
Table of Contents
- Chia seeds: valuable superfood
- Lose weight with chia: the 3 phases of the diet
- Phase 1
- Phase 2
- Phase 3
- Lose weight with chia: conclusion
The Aztecs mainly ate beans, corn, poultry, fish, vegetables, fruit, amaranth, quinoa and chia. Chia seeds in particular were the focus of the diet, because the Aztecs cultivated the small seeds, which, along with corn and beans, were among the three staple foods. Chia seeds strengthened the Aztec warriors on their long journeys, hunting and fighting.
Chia seeds: valuable superfood
But chia is not only a great food for the Aztecs. The superfood is becoming more and more popular with us too, because the nutrients are convincing.
Chia seeds contain:
- 8 times more omega-3 fatty acids than farmed salmon from the Atlantic
- 6 times more calcium than milk
- 3 times more iron than spinach
- 2 times more fiber than bran flakes
- 15 times more magnesium than broccoli
- 4 times more selenium than flaxseed
Since the small seeds swell up in the stomach, a long-lasting feeling of satiety arises. By swelling, they naturally ensure that there is less space in the stomach for more food. This signals to the brain that the stomach is full and we stop eating.
This is exactly the effect that Dr. Bob Arnot for his Aztec diet. The New York Times bestselling author, doctor and medical journalist has lost weight himself with the help of chia seeds and because of this he wrote the book “The Aztec Diet. Healthy and slim with Chia ”. Arnot promises that his diet will be easy to follow and that there will be no complicated meal plans or calorie counting. The basis of the diet is made up of smoothies with chia seeds. In addition, the diet, which is rather a long-term change in diet, consists of three phases.
EAT SMARTER recommends the white organic chia seeds from foodspring for the 3-phase diet.
Buy chia seeds
Lose weight with chia: the 3 phases of the diet
In the first phase of the diet, three chia smoothies are drunk a day, which are supposed to turn the metabolism upside down. Snacks are also allowed. This phase should last two weeks. Each smoothie contains two tablespoons of chia seeds. In the case of flatulence or heartburn, it is advisable to reduce the amount by half a tablespoon each time. Numerous smoothie recipes are presented in the book. Here's an example.
Invigorating blueberry mug
- 240 ml of filtered water
- 120 ml of fresh apple juice
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ ripe banana
- 225 g fresh or frozen blueberries
- 75 g fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp raw walnuts (or cashew nuts)
Low-fat natural yogurt, soy milk, hemp or almond milk are recommended as a smoothie base. It is crucial for the chia seeds that they are ground or microfinely cut, because whole seeds leave the digestive tract too quickly and can therefore only help to a limited extent in weight loss.
In addition to the smoothies, there is one snack a day, such as B. 90 g quinoa, 1 slice of low-fat cheese, 1 apple, 145 g cottage cheese or 30 g rye crispbread are allowed.
From a nutritional point of view, it is quite critical to judge that the first phase of the diet should last a full two weeks. However, Arnot recommends that the first phase can be shortened if it is difficult to keep up. A faster transition to phase two can then take place.
In the second phase, which should last six weeks, the menu for one day is as follows:
- Smoothie with 4 tbsp chia seeds or smoothie with 2 tbsp chia seeds plus water with 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Having lunch:
- Lean protein, low glycemic index grains and vegetables, about 400 calories
- Smoothie with 2 tbsp chia seeds
In addition, Dr. Bob Arnot Exercise and Exercise to Lose Weight. It is important that the meal is also eaten at lunchtime and not consumed as dinner. Because lunch stimulates the metabolism so that more calories are burned during the day, according to the inventor of the Aztec diet. The same applies to phase two, if you cannot survive this phase, you should not give up, but rather switch to phase three ahead of time.
In phase three, it's time to live like the Aztecs. From now on, three meals per day are allowed again. This is no longer about losing weight, but about maintaining the weight.
A day in this phase could e.g. B. look like this:
- lean protein (e.g. frittata or chia smoothie)
- Having lunch:
- Vegetables and lean protein such as Asian chicken salad or corn soup.
- early, light meal like salmon with kale or quinoa.
Every now and then, smoothies with chia seeds are recommended as a meal replacement. In addition, chia seeds are to be integrated into the menu. This is achieved by z. For example, you can add chia seeds to baked goods and cereal dishes, use them to bread fish and meat, or sprinkle the small seeds over your morning muesli. Jam can also be made from chia seeds. Arnot gives extensive information on the foods in phase 3 in his book.
Lose weight with chia: conclusion
The satiating effect of chia seeds can be used safely when losing weight. After all, the small seeds are a natural product that has valuable ingredients. However, eating only smoothies with chia seeds for two weeks is questionable and should definitely be discussed with a doctor. Phase three of the Aztec diet is much more like a change in diet with healthy products.
- How do construction companies choose building materials
- Why do I never feel really happy?
- What scares us the most
- The moon is half covered with water
- There are free mentoring sites online
- Do you look like your parents?
- Why is English used in Singapore
- How beautiful are ladies from Thailand
- How is Vietnam for tourism
- Why is my one year old angry
- How do you mourn death
- Why do diabetics have a silent heart attack
- The US arms problem is very serious
- Are evangelical Christians racist
- Why is learning the piano so expensive?
- Can we make a hole in space-time
- What is the role of a moderator
- What does Israel export besides arms?
- What is asymmetry
- Why are the answers to Quora so detailed
- What are the 5 best healthy snacks
- How do you write 300 in thousands?
- What happens in the foreign exchange market
- What makes South Africa a nation
- Growing pain can cause back pain
- How did Hinduism as a religion fail?
- What does por favor
- What is the torsion equation
- What is it like to undergo fertility treatments
- How do children learn to lie
- Can we harm deep-sea creatures?
- What types of students come to Harvard
- What are some good short term goals
- Where can I buy vacuum