What is the maximum dimension
§ 32 StVZO (dimensions of vehicles and vehicle combinations)
The regulations on permissible dimensions of motor vehicles in Germany
In Germany, the width of the lane usually varies between 2.75 m and 3.75 m. Accordingly, the Road Traffic Licensing Regulations (StVZO) also specify guidelines that regulate the maximum width and other vehicle dimensions. The height - particularly important for bridges and tunnels - and length of motor vehicles are also regulated. All provisions and regulations for the individual vehicle groups can be found in Section 32 StVZO.
FAQ: § 32 StVZO
In this case there is a risk of a fine of 60 euros and one point in Flensburg.
The maximum permissible vehicle widths can be found in this table.
You can find the maximum permissible vehicle lengths here.
Fines according to § 32 StVZO
|332600||You put the motor vehicle / trailer / vehicle combination into operation even though the permissible dimensions were exceeded.||60||1|
The width of the lanes is fixed in Germany. Accordingly, a vehicle may only have a permissible total width of 2.55 m exceed. For Passenger cars a maximum permissible width of 2.5 m.
At agricultural and forestry vehicles A permissible width of up to three meters applies, as road use is only intended in exceptional cases and under strict conditions.
The width of the lane can vary widely within construction sites on motorways. The left lane is then often only 2.5 m wide, so that only vehicles with a width of up to two meters are allowed to use it.
Trucks must always be on the right lane drive that with a width between 3 m and 3.25 m can also be driven on by wider vehicles.
The maximum permissible vehicle width according to § 32 StVZO
|Vehicle class||maximum permissible |
Width in meters
|in passenger cars||2,50|
|for fixed / removable bodies of air-conditioned vehicles |
(Refrigerated truck with thermal insulation)
|for agricultural and forestry machines and attachments|
Vehicles with attachments for road maintenance (e.g. road sweepers)
|for trailers behind motorcycles||1,00|
Exceptions apply according to § 32 StVZO only for Snow removal equipment and winter service vehicles, as these usually drive in front of the flowing traffic and should not be overtaken.
The maximum vehicle height is based on § 32 StVZO four meters set. It should be noted, however, that special information on the maximum clearance height may be given, especially for bridges and tunnels. These can also be below the four-meter limit. On the appropriate signage must be taken into account.
Also the permissible length of motor vehicles is stipulated by § 32 StVZO These apply in particular to trucks, buses and articulated vehicles. The reason for the maximum length can be that vehicles of a certain length are very difficult to control - especially when cornering. Vehicles and teams on German roads with a length over 18.75 m are not allowed.
The maximum permissible vehicle length according to § 32 StVZO
|Vehicle class||maximum permissible |
Length in meters
|Motor vehicles (e.g. trucks) and trailers |
(except buses and semitrailers)
|Buses with more than two axles||15,00|
|Articulated vehicles (tractors with trailers) or |
Vehicle combinations in the manner of articulated lorries
|Motor vehicles other than tractors with trailers||18,00|
Buses with trailers (singular)
Tractor with trailers (Mehrzal)
Truck with trailers for transporting goods
Would you like to use your car e.g. B. to attach a boat trailer or a caravan, the maximum permitted length of the trailer must be 12 m Get attention.
For Motorcycles and small automobiles Separate regulations apply. Motorcycles, three- and four-wheeled vehicles (e.g. quads) are allowed one permissible width of two meters do not exceed. Mopeds and mopeds may not be more than one meter wide. A maximum height of two and a half meters and a maximum length of four meters are given.
Vehicles that do not meet the statutory vehicle dimensions are not permitted to operate on Germany's roads.
In the event of a violation of Section 32 StVZO, a fine of 60 euros and one point in Flensburg be collected.
- Visual aids
- License plates
- Connecting devices
- lighting equipment
- flexible parts of splash guard system
- Extendable / fold-out steps in driving position
- Devices for securing or protecting the tarpaulin
- Tail lifts, loading bridges and similar devices in the driving position
- Who can help me develop an app
- Did the ancient Greeks look like this
- How will influencer marketing change in 2020?
- What would you like to say anonymously
- How will Brexit affect South Africa?
- What kind of employment is a sponsorship
- Have a checklist for the game mechanics
- Are recyclable items considered as waste
- Why is xenophobia a rational behavior
- Why do I care about death?
- What do you think of Trump's personality
- How dangerous are bonobos to humans
- Why am I so bad with Excel
- Why are men's shorts getting shorter
- Are antidepressants addicting
- Which law is technically in violation of the constitution
- What are the things that you discovered by yourself
- Can a Dementor produce a Patronus?
- Have you ever tried using crypto currency
- Why do Greeks and Armenians look alike
- Disrupt the Indian peace by anti-citizens
- Are there convicted criminals in Congress?
- How do I get to NUS
- What are some classic Malaysian dishes
- How do I patent a product
- Why is Singapore so rich
- Is junk DNA what makes people unique
- Did Mars emerge from Earth?
- Why is Trump Islamophobic
- How do I install R and RStudio
- Is there a parallel life
- How can I get drugs