Is genetics an indicator of intelligent design?
Researchers find genetic changes that affect intelligence
Yes, intelligence is hereditary. At least in part. Science has long agreed on this. But how exactly this part of the mental performance is inherited - research knows almost nothing about that. In addition, it is controversial how intelligence can be defined and measured at all. An international team of dozens of scientists from the Social Science Genetic Association Consortium has now dared to undertake a mammoth task - and cleared up some of these complicated connections.
From previous twin studies it is known that the genetic makeup is responsible for about 50 percent - the estimates vary - for the mental performance. The rest can be explained with the conditions in which a person lives. However, it is not known which gene variants are responsible for this approximately 50 percent influence.
Genes from 1.1 million people examined
This is exactly where the current large-scale study starts. The scientists examined the genome of more than 1.1 million people of European descent aged 30 or over. They focused on an indicator of intelligence that is easy to check: the educational success achieved, i.e. school or university degree. Some of the data came from previous surveys and some had just become available, for example from the UK Biobank long-term study and the biotechnology company 23andMe.
The researchers then coordinated their work across continents with regular telephone conferences, says Aysu Okbay from the Free University of Amsterdam, one of the main authors. They compared the educational success of the participants and their genetic material.
- How to Market Your MLM Business
- What does the emoticon 3
- Are Malaysian politicians corrupt
- When can someone actually continue?
- Are Malaysians friends with foreigners
- Have old coins lost their value
- How do I help a schizophrenic relative
- How does Christianity explain ancient China
- What is a bull barrel
- Where's the keel of a boat
- Do I need an account for Quora?
- How do I learn CATIA
- How do the Chinese code
- Could you share your most noticed picture
- How can you generate numbers in Excel
- When is the FNaF film coming
- How to pronounce GIF
- Are Nike shoes from Vietnam counterfeit?
- Why do intelligent people look weird sometimes
- Can people with high cholesterol be healthy
- What is a hurdle runner in cheerleading
- What is font 1
- How can you address potential customers online
- What are the modern uses of C ++