What makes South Africa a nation
Hanisauland: Lexicon @todo: from Preprocess
- Official name:
- Republic of South Africa
- Pretoria (seat of government)
- South African rand
- Afrikaans, English, isiZulu, isiXhosa, sePedi, seTswana, seSotho, xiTsonga, siSwati, tshiVenda, isiNdebele
- 58.78 million
- National holiday:
- April 27th, Freedom Day
As the name suggests, South Africa is located in the south of the continent of Africa - in the last corner. In the north it borders on Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Swaziland. The small country of Lesotho is located in the middle of South Africa. The Atlantic and Indian Oceans surround the country from the west and south-east.
Years of racial segregation
South Africa was isolated worldwide because of its apartheid policy. Apartheid describes the strict racial segregation between whites and non-whites that existed in the country until the 1990s. During this time there were many injustices: only white people had the right to vote, the living areas, schools and restaurants of the white and black population had to be strictly separated, and blacks had no say in politics.
Nobel Peace Prize laureate Nelson Mandela fought against the apartheid regime and was imprisoned until 1990 for that reason. After the abolition of apartheid, he won the first equal elections in South Africa as chairman of his party in 1994. He became the first black president in Pretoria, the capital of South Africa. The president and government are elected every five years. The democratically elected parliament consists of the National Assembly and the Provincial Council and has its seat in Cape Town.
There are problems too
The transition to a democratic state was not without difficulties. The high crime rate is particularly problematic. One reason for this is the great poverty and the fact that there is too little work. The goals of politics are to fight poverty, crime and AIDS, and that rights and duties in the country apply equally to all people. This also includes reconciling the black and white population.
Rich in raw materials and travel destinations
South Africa is the largest economic power in Africa. It is rich in natural resources, including gold and diamonds. Animal reserves, nature parks with breathtaking scenery, miles of beaches and the beautiful city of Cape Town attract millions of tourists from all over the world every year. When planning a trip to South Africa, one thing shouldn't be forgotten: when it's summer here, it's winter there and vice versa!
A football nation
South Africa is the first country in Africa to host a soccer world championship. That was in 2010. Football has a long tradition in South Africa; the first club was founded in 1879. But it was only after the end of apartheid that the South African team was able to achieve notable successes, because rugby and cricket were the main sports under the white government.
- What is right-wing populism
- How do I write a company profile
- Which is the best scheme WordPress plugin
- Why do college students eat ramen
- What is your favorite breed of dog
- Where can I meet rich women
- What are some beginner projects with SQL
- What illegal activities are making the most money?
- What are the celestial objects
- Which floor is best for a basement
- How can we turn information into knowledge
- Most of the time people are hedonists
- Dead stars are black holes
- How many ounces are in a gram
- Can you provide a clear circuit diagram
- Where better to study ACCA
- Are medical coaching in Kanpur good
- What is the most dangerous city in Ireland
- What is NLP in text mining
- How compressed can space-time be
- Who has cute dogs?
- How has outsourcing affected the US economy?
- What does a PTSD attack look like
- What fascinates you most about space exploration