Why is Jesus's birthday on December 25th
Was Jesus really born on December 25th?
For centuries, Christians have celebrated the birth of Jesus on December 25th. For the following reasons, we believe that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born on that day.
1 Luke 2: 1-3 tells us of a census as the reason for Joseph and Mary's journey. A census would never take place in the middle of winter where weather conditions are transporting people to their family's town1 would make it very difficult. In fact, even in our modern times of fast transportation, censuses are usually only taken during times when the weather would not be a problem. Therefore, the assumed birth of Jesus on December 25th and a census on that day cannot coincide.
2. Furthermore, the fact that verse 8 spoke of shepherds who were in the fields with their flocks is another indication that Jesus cannot be born on December 25th, because the flocks never go outside in December due to the weather are. As Adam Clark aptly said:
"Since these shepherds had not yet brought their flocks home, it can be assumed that it was not October, and therefore our Lord was not born on December 25th when there were no flocks outside ... On this basis the birth of Christ should be on December date ”(This quotation is from RE Woodrow:" Babylon Mystery Religion ", Ralph Woodrow Evangelistic Association Inc., 1966, this excerpt 1992 p.141)
The above facts make it clear that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born on December 25th. Then why is his birth celebrated on that date? The reason is none other than pagan customs that pagans who converted to Christianity brought with them. As J. Frazer says:
"The greatest pagan religious cult that made December 25 a holiday in the Roman and Greek worlds was pagan sun worship mithraism ... This winter festival was also called" the birth "- the" birth of the sun "(see J. Frazer : "The Golden Bough", New York, Macmillan Co., 1935 col.471.)
Even a source as conservative as The Catholic Encyclopedia admits that this Heavenly Feast was the reason they began celebrating the birth of Jesus on December 25th:
"The famous sun festival Natalis Invicti [the birth of the undefeated sun], which was celebrated on December 25th, has a strong influence on our date in December" (see: "The Catholic Encyclopedia", New York, Robert Appleton Co., 1911, 725. This quote comes from R. Woodrow, op.cit.p.143)
The above said2 makes it clear that December 25th is not the birthday of Jesus, but the day the Gentiles celebrated the birth of the sun. After these pagans were converted to Christianity, they brought their pagan customs with them. Instead of taking a firm stand and fighting against these customs, the Church preferred to “Christianize” them. Thus the "birth of the Sun God" became the "birth of the Son of God". Obviously, this is one of the many pagan customs and traditions followed by large numbers of Christians.
From the above, I don't mean that anything needs to be done about the celebration of Jesus' birth on December 25th, nor do I mean that we should fight Christmas with our families. The date Jesus was born is not that interesting. What really matters is THAT HE WAS BORN !!! Even so, it is important for us to know these things and not be satisfied with chasing different man-made traditions.
1. The weather in Palestine is not very different from the weather in other Mediterranean countries. Despite the fact that the warm period of the year is longer than in Northern or Central Europe, the period from November to March can be very cold, with even minus degrees.
2. For clarity, the reader is recommended to read the excellent work by Ralph Woodrow as cited above.
- What do you think of yourself
- Can a human escape a snake?
- Where is peace on earth
- Is there a random number predictor?
- HIV AIDS is a communicable disease
- Can Republicans still overtake health care
- What's new in Mule
- How does an actor get famous
- How beautiful are ladies from Thailand
- Is house paint acrylic paint
- How do grapes help you lose weight
- Practice giving blowjobs to women
- Are Singaporeans proud of Joseph Schooling?
- The Chinese eat koalas
- How many grape seeds make 100mg
- How to remove steel rust
- Is wheat noodles unhealthy
- What are the examples of modern philosophies
- Pakistan is a democratic country
- How does Dogecoin relate to Bitcoin?
- What ruined your marriage
- Is Dubai boring compared to London
- Is it snowing in Myanmar?
- What is the best referral program