Can you live without vanilla
Recipe: Christmas Crumble with Cashew Vanilla Sauce
A few years ago I was with my husband in the USA. The last stop on our honeymoon was Seattle: Here we spent two nights in the Airbnb of an older couple, Don and Sue. The two of them were incredibly nice and not only showed us their hometown, but also cooked for us. It was the end of the year and Sue baked us a delicious Christmas crumble that I will never forget.
A crumble is a dessert from American and English cuisine. Translated from English, the term "streusel" means: It is fruit that is baked with crumble. Crumbles are usually high in refined sugar, but you can also make them healthier - without sacrificing taste! I modified Sue's recipe - her crumble was a healthier option with oatmeal and little sugar, but I made her recipe even more tailored to my tastes and needs.
The Christmas Crumble is ...
- delicious: sure, right ?! 😉
- healthy & wholesome
- a bit more complex, but the work is worth it!
- sugar free
- alternatively sweetened (with dried fruits, coconut blossom sugar, rice syrup ...)
- lactose free
- prepare well
Christmas Crumble - berries as a basic ingredient
For my Christmas crumble I use a frozen berry mix: I really like frozen berry mixes with raspberries, blackberries, currants, blueberries and strawberries, especially now in winter.
Berries are super healthy fruits and real immune boosters: They contain valuable vitamins, minerals, trace elements and secondary plant substances. Since the fruits are flash frozen immediately after harvest, the nutrients are retained even when frozen.
Instead of using a mixture of berries, you can of course also use a single variety of berries. Regardless of whether you use a mixture or just one type of frozen berry: Pay attention to the list of ingredients when shopping, because many berry mixtures contain added sugar. And here you definitely don't need refined sugar, the fruits are naturally sweet and there are other sweet ingredients in the crumble.
Sprinkles made from healthier ingredients
I prepare the crumble or crumble from healthy ingredients - traditionally they are made with flour and lots of butter and sugar. Instead, I use some coconut oil, hazelnut kernels for a great crunch, some hazelnut butter (super delicious !!), oat flakes, some coconut blossom sugar for the consistency and a little sweetness, as well as some spice biscuits for the "Christmas taste". The combination is incredibly delicious!
Cashew vanilla sauce sweetened with rice syrup
Another special feature of this crumble is the cashew vanilla sauce that I make with it. As the name suggests, it is based on cashew nuts or cashew butter. Due to their soft consistency and of course their light color, they are particularly suitable for healthy vanilla sauce. Cashew nuts are also particularly rich in unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. And cashews are also a very good source of phosphorus and magnesium. These minerals are important for healthy nerves, muscles, bones and teeth.
As a healthier sugar alternative, I use rice syrup. It has a very light color and is therefore particularly suitable for sweetening cashew butter. Other alternative sweeteners such as coconut blossom sugar would darken the light vanilla sauce, while rice syrup would not change the color. The sweetness of rice syrup is not as strong as that of conventional industrial sugar, but the aroma is wonderfully mild and therefore perfect for the vanilla sauce.
Here is the recipe:
I wish you a lot of fun trying out and baking and a nice and reflective Christmas time!
I hope you enjoy trying it out! If you would like to receive new recipes and information about sugar-free nutrition directly in your mailbox in the future, simply subscribe to our mailing list and get my free weekly schedule including recipes and shopping list!
- Why is international trade growing
- Has light color
- How much do book editors make
- Which picture best describes you and why
- What is Mark Zuckerberg's email signature
- How did your Dungeons Dragons group start?
- Men who wear Lungi like men
- Nagaland people eat dogs
- Which pages on Quora do you have to follow
- What's your strangest picture from the beach
- How many square feet are 10x20 inches
- Which book did Peter write
- Are there black holes in space
- A 2 minute breath is good
- What sucks about being a computer technician
- Can a black hole suck up a wormhole
- How do I find new prospects online
- Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is a good politician
- What weapons do you have
- Why does Asia eat dogs
- How do I get Saudi citizenship
- Has a space-time charge curve
- High-level software developers often make mistakes
- What's your dog rescue story
- Is Dota 2 like chess
- How many Americans die from police shootings
- Which cloud computing job is the best
- How does the runny nose work
- How does Mint com make money
- How to Get the Salesforce COM Certification
- Are pocket knives legal in NJ
- Why do computer screens sometimes freeze
- Is Azerbaijan a fully developed country
- Is polygamy still legal