What did Abraham fear in the Bible?
Abraham and Sarah
Abraham. What a man, what a life! With stories like the campfire. Abraham was born in Ur in Mesopotamia on the lower Euphrates. During the unrest that accompanied the collapse of the Babylonian Empire, moved near the present-day Syrian-Turkish border. His life is shaped by the request to move away from home to a still unknown country, to leave home and friends.
He breaks out of family and clan, gives them a bond that is vital for the people of the old days. He becomes homeless and defenseless. Crossed the country and the desert and flew from famine to Egypt. There he pretends to be his sister, his wife, who is very beautiful. He fears that the king will stretch it out for him and kill him in order to get him out of the way. In fact, Pharaoh takes Sarah into his house and gives Abraham abundant gifts: sheep and cattle, donkeys and camels, male and female servants. But then he sees through the trick and chases him out of the country.
Abraham owns large herds of cattle, is quite wealthy. Something like this can change quickly when the forces of nature remove the breeding ground for the animals. Abraham later settled near Hebron, gained some power, and took part in the wars between the rulers of the regions on the Euphrates and the Dead Sea. Although he still has no heir - childlessness is a difficult lot in ancient times - he learns in a dream that centuries later all the land between Egypt and the Euphrates will belong to his descendants.
He keeps a maid as a concubine, which leads to conflicts. Hagar, Sara's personal slave, gives birth to a son to Abraham. Just like Sara, in later years, when this is actually no longer biologically possible. A wonder. But luck is deceptive. God compels Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, whom he loves very much. The barely comprehensible story is a parable for an almost superhuman test and for the fact that God can claim back what he gives, even the dearest thing a person has. But the unspeakable act is spared Abraham at the last moment. An angel instructs him to sacrifice a ram instead of his son whose horns are caught in a hedge. Finally Abraham returns to Hebron, where Sarah dies. The cave in which she rests later also becomes his burial place.
The stories of Abraham are testimony to a person who, with a mixture of courage, trust in God and willingness to take risks, remains open to change and seeks a new world. “God”, writes Patrick M. Arnold, “could not escape the vote of confidence the old man asked for and really gave him his blessing.” The sentence “I want to bless you and you should be a blessing” belongs to the winged words of the Bible.
Abraham and Sarah are one of the three parents, great role models, from whom Israel draws its story. No heroes or heroines or even saints, but people with all their strengths and weaknesses, ups and downs in their interpersonal relationships. But they stay together. They reach old age, a symbol of a fulfilled life and a sign of God's faithfulness.
from: JS-Magazin - magazine of the Evangelical Church for young soldiers
more on the subject
- How painful is waxing your bikini area
- What does low battery problem mean
- How many currencies are there in the Arab countries
- What are some tips for Facebook ads
- Why are some countries developed
- Why don't people like strong personalities
- What does it mean to really love
- How are developing countries developing
- Which RPG games have the highest replayability
- What is the tangent of a line
- Can I eat flaxseed without grinding
- What can you cleanse with vinegar
- Where did the British monarchy start?
- Whether his heart disease or not
- Who can help market my business
- Where do people get herpes from
- Why is my name on Quora
- We deserve respect
- Affiliate Marketing Really Is That Hard
- Is it illegal to watch pirated content?
- Simply put, what is the Riemann Hypothesis
- Is Hong Kong in China 3
- What is 10 yen worth
- What is the past tense for action
- What makes your perspective unique
- Can I remove rust?
- What is a lower middle class income
- Who can be called a superman
- Medicines can terminate a three-week pregnancy
- Is guest blogging a good ROI?
- What's the worst mob in Minecraft
- How can America stop outsourcing IT jobs
- What is the etymology of heck