What pickled fruits are there
Put in vegetables and fruits
The top priority when it comes to loading is cleanliness. (Photo by: © B. Wylezich / fotolia.com)
When preserving vegetables or fruit, you can choose between 3 types distinguish:
- Boiling down - all ingredients are boiled before or after filling the jars ... this is how fruit and vegetables are preserved.
- Can - Already processed fruits or vegetables (e.g. for jam, chutney, jellies, etc.) are preserved in jars.
- Insertion - Here the fruits or vegetables are placed in liquids (oil, vinegar, sugar water, ...) without boiling them.
This article will describe the method of soaking ...
Pickling fruits and vegetables - A good alternative
The clever preservation of food is not only worthwhile for those people who have fresh fruit and vegetables from their own harvest.
Since the prices for fruit and vegetables mostly fluctuate strongly depending on the season, it can be worthwhile to put in strawberries, apricots, cherries, etc. in the spring for the rest of the year and if necessary, better the pantry than buying imported goods from abroad in the supermarket for expensive money.
So this is recommended Pickling fruit and vegetables whenever the food in question is in season.
When is which fruit or vegetable season?
Info: The term “Einwecken”, which is often used, goes back to a German entrepreneur (Johann Weck) who developed special glasses for preserving food.
What do you need to pickle fruits and vegetables?
In addition to the selected fruits or vegetables, the following is required:
- special preserving jars or twist-off jars with screw-on lids
Sterilize preserving jars
The top priority when placing fruit and vegetables is that cleanliness, which is why the preserving jars must be sterilized as a first step:
- To do this, rinse or pour boiling water over the jars (including the lids) or place the empty jars in the oven for around 10 minutes at 120 degrees.
Only those who observe this principle can guarantee a long shelf life for the pickles.
Prepare fruit or vegetables
- Only ripe fruit or vegetables should be used.
- Wash the fruits well, remove all impurities or chipped areas with a knife and remove the seeds if necessary.
- If necessary, you can cut the fruit into bite-sized pieces.
- Hard fruits such as carrots, pears, etc. can be briefly blanched with hot water before filling.
Pickling fruit or vegetables
The pickled fruits or vegetables are not cooked during the pickling process, so most of the nutrients are retained as desired - the following options are available:
- Soaking in vinegar: Fresh vegetables in particular are very easy to pickle in vinegar. To do this, simply clean the vegetables beforehand, wash them, possibly cut them into small pieces, salt and then let them rest for around 2-3 hours (this removes the water) and then fill glasses with vinegar.
- Soaking in oil: Also very suitable for vegetables and cheese. The oil prevents the development of harmful microorganisms.
- Soaking in sugar water: Especially suitable for fruit. The fruit pieces are placed in boiled sugar water.
- Soaking in salt water: Used in the production of sauerkraut. Here boiled and already cooled salt water is poured over the chopped herb and sealed in the glass.
In addition, you can also add various herbs or spices to the glass.
Info: Vegetables or fruit pickled in this way can be kept for 2-6 months.
Vegetables can also be pickled and preserved without any problems. (Photo by: © sil007 / fotolia.com)
Which fruit or vegetables are particularly suitable for pickling?
- Many people love pickled tomatoes, peppers or cucumbers, but sauerkraut is also very popular and can be easily preserved.
- But also aromatic garlic or spicy onions taste excellent when they are placed in them and flatter every spoiled palate.
- Of course are your own Taste no restrictions and any other vegetable can be preserved in this way without any problems.
- When it comes to fruit, it is mainly apples, pears, cherries, apricots, peaches and strawberries that are particularly popular.
- Of course, two types of fruit can also be combined with each other.
- The combination of strawberry and rhubarb, for example, tastes very refreshing, while children especially love pickled cherries.
There are no limits to the imagination when it comes to pickling fruit or vegetables and it is definitely worth experimenting a little. In this way, many people have created their personal favorite experiment that they no longer want to miss on the menu.
Storage of the mason jars
The preserving jars should best be stored in the dark in a cool place (e.g. cellar) and can be eaten even months later.
Rating: Ø 3.9 (267 votes)
- What is a parametric test and a non-parametric test
- What do European green frogs eat
- How much money do house cleaners make
- What is Misra Sudarshan's Zenos Paradox
- What are some examples of circular permutations
- What is the meaning of angels killing demons?
- Social media promotes stalking
- Is American culture superior to multiculturalism?
- Can India do better than other countries
- Is spatial
- Why has China banned dark souls
- Are poets better off self-publishing?
- How does edible gold taste
- What does it mean to explore new things
- Eating talcum powder can give me cancer
- What makes Instagram Reels better than TikTok
- Why is the mainstream media so left-wing
- How is the Singaporean work culture
- Trumps' tariff strategy is paying off
- Why are natural constants constant
- What are the most commonly used recyclable materials
- Why is C faster than Python
- How many cups does a quart contain?
- What is your exercise routine