How much chocolate can a dog eat
Delicate temptation with dire consequences
Christmas time is gourmet time. You treat yourself to something good. And chocolate is simply a part of Christmas. Of course, four-legged housemates shouldn't live like a dog either. A little sweet can't hurt. Unfortunately yes! Not all dog owners know that the sweet temptation can have far-reaching consequences. Chocolate is poison in the truest sense of the word for dogs.
This is due to the theobromine contained in chocolate or cocoa beans. The theobromine content varies depending on the type of chocolate. White chocolate is specified as 0.009 mg / g, dark chocolate can contain up to 16 mg / g, cocoa powder even up to 26 mg / g. A bar (100 g) of dark chocolate contains around 1,600 mg (i.e. 1.6 g) of theobromine.
In sensitive dogs, a dose of 90 to 250 mg per kilo of body weight can be fatal for the dog. With a consumption of 300 mg, the so-called 50 percent lethal dose is already reached. This means that half of all dogs will die if they ingest this amount. This dose has already been reached or exceeded with one bar of dark chocolate if the dog weighs around 5.5 kilograms or less. Smaller breeds of dogs as well as puppies and young dogs are therefore particularly at risk.
However, much smaller amounts can also lead to symptoms of intoxication with symptoms such as restlessness, nausea, cramps, diarrhea and fever. Most deaths are due to cardiovascular failure. Repeated feeding of smaller amounts is also problematic. Theobromine breaks down in the body very slowly, so that it can accumulate in the blood.
Chocolate enjoyment usually becomes a problem when the dog is secretly nibbling on chocolate lying around in an uncontrolled manner. Dog owners can prevent this by storing the candy in such a way that the sweet darling cannot steal anything. With "chocolate thieves" you should go to the vet immediately. Incidentally, theobromine is completely harmless to humans.
- Think of obesity as a disease
- Do you really need a vacuum cleaner
- Why are educated Chinese so racist
- Which version of the Bible is actually correct?
- How can I present a data set
- If chess players are often crazy, why
- How do you get questions to Quora
- What is God's email address
- How do Methodist and Catholic beliefs differ?
- Which city names end with city
- How expensive is Yodlee's API
- Which floor cleaner do you like best
- What are the top YouTube niches
- Why is Austin TX so liberal
- Can someone briefly explain about Salesforce certifications
- Could gods exist
- What is function call stack
- Can a DNA test of parentage prove paternity?
- Do you have partners
- How much do guns cost at Walmart
- Where did the British monarchy start?
- How many Roman emperors were gay
- What is the Swaminathan Commission
- What are Giffen goods