Is coconut water good for the acid
How is coconut water to be rated?
Access to the specialist information exclusively for members and subscribers is now activated for you.
The drink made from young coconuts contains plenty of minerals, but contrary to what the manufacturers promise, it is not suitable for regeneration and rehydration during sport.
Anyone who has ever been to the tropics may know the cool, refreshing drink that is usually drunk straight from thick, green coconuts. Up to 800 milliliters of liquid can be found in the unripe harvested nuts. Coconut water tastes slightly sweet and, in contrast to the liquid in ripe coconuts, hardly tastes like coconut. It is also not to be confused with coconut milk, which is obtained from the pulp of the ripe nut. The clear liquid consists mostly of water, contains some carbohydrates and B vitamins, hardly any protein and fat, but plenty of minerals, especially potassium, magnesium, sodium and phosphorus. Because of its mineral richness, coconut water is advertised in this country as the ideal sports drink and to support kidney, liver and heart functions. In addition, the pasteurized drink offered in tetrapak or glass bottles is said to promote urine production and thus the elimination of toxins.
However, because of its high mineral content, coconut water is not recommended for high-performance athletes during and after exercise. Because the high potassium content of around 2500 milligrams per liter can lead to heart problems in high-performance athletes. The magnesium content of up to 250 milligrams per liter is also too high for a sports drink and can cause intestinal cramps or diarrhea. For high-performance athletes, a maximum of 100 milligrams of magnesium per liter of drink is recommended. Even amateur athletes better cover their fluid loss with an isotonic drink such as a fruit juice spritzer.
Studies have not adequately proven whether coconut water promotes kidney, liver and heart function as well as the elimination of toxins. It is also less suitable as a substitute for milk in the case of lactose intolerance and milk protein allergy. Of the four typical ingredients in milk (protein, calcium, vitamins B2 and B12), it only contains calcium in a comparable amount. Since coconuts or the water drawn from them have to be transported over long distances, coconut water in this country must also be questioned from an ecological point of view. In the coconut palm-growing countries, however, it is a natural, refreshing drink.
Martins A, Chomist H. Effect of Tender Coconut Water as Rehydration Drink on Cardiopulmonary Fitness for Joggers, 2003
UGB (Hrsg.) UGB-Forum special: Nutrition & sport - well supplied. UGB-Verlag, Wettenberg 2009
Source: UGB-Forum 4/11, pp. 200-201
Photo: yellowj / Fotolia.com
▶︎ NewsletterThe UGB newsletter provides you with free information once a month.
| • current specialist information|
• News from science
• Book and surf tips
• Recipe of the month
| • Seasonal vegetables and fruits|
• Job offers in the field of nutrition /
Environment / natural food
• UGB events and new media
▶︎ Trial subscriptionTry 3 issues + gift now
Related keywords ...
All articles on coconut water ...
- What does 5G mean for network operations
- How are benign tumors treated
- How do historians know about history?
- How many lines of code does Snapchat contain
- How do I calculate the standard deviation
- How successful was the French Revolution
- What is the future of MIDI
- Why is my one year old angry
- How do I get free pokeballs
- What are the tuition fees in NJIT
- Dark matter has antimatter
- Should Americans adopt a three-party system
- Why does 1 + 1 make 2 and not 3
- Hokkien is a popular language in Taiwan
- What is the best email automation tool
- What is the importance of measurements
- Most Misunderstood Facts About SEO
- Which products should I avoid when dropshipping?
- How can I brown a turkey
- ADHD drugs are addicting
- Have you ever lost your passion
- If 7 x 49 what is x
- Why is it important to serve in the military?
- What makes a share price rise
- Hiring DuckDuckGo freshmen
- Why does Saudi Arabia not welcome refugees?
- Why did the Romans kill Jesus Christ?
- How quickly can vitamin deficiencies be cured
- What should social media do in education
- Why does alcoholism cause death
- What are 2000m volts
- How do I deal with suppliers
- When was paper money invented?