Will run off Vaseline
Potentially carcinogenic : Stiftung Warentest warns against mineral oil cosmetics
A study by Stiftung Warentest raises doubts about the quality of care products such as creams, lotions or lip care based on mineral oils. These oils are unbeatably cheap as an ingredient and are therefore - besides water - often the most important components of these care products. In their study published on Tuesday, the product testers found potentially carcinogenic substances in all of the mineral oil-based products they examined. They had selected 25 products from this group as an example, including creams, body oils, but also special products such as milking fat and petroleum jelly, and examined them for a critical substance that they had previously found by chance in a body oil in another test: aromatic hydrocarbons, or MOAH "(Mineral Oil Aromatic Hydrocarbons).
Completely new knowledge
The foundation writes: "The high MOAH content indicated that it was not a contamination from the production process, but that the ingredient itself was the cause of the find." That means: The raw material used millions of times is apparently through the bank not prepared carefully enough and contains MOAHs substances that cannot be ruled out that they cause cancer. Because the mineral oils used are obtained from simple crude oil. So that the pure and white raw material is created from the black crude oil, it goes through a complex process in which it is processed and cleaned. At the end of this process, all MOAHs should be removed. But apparently the processing procedure is not sophisticated enough.
The findings also have far-reaching consequences insofar as they indicate that the previous analytical methods are inadequate. This is also underlined by Birgit Relender from Stiftung Warentest, who accompanied the project: “With the previous analysis, it was not possible to sufficiently prove these MOAHs,” she says. "In this respect, our findings are completely new."
Mineral oils are not allowed in organic cosmetics
But nobody now has to throw away all of their care products. The consumer advocates only advise avoiding lip care products that contain mineral oils, because a lot of what is smeared on the lips ends up in the mouth. "None of the tested products pose an acute health risk, but you shouldn't eat an apple with freshly creamy hands either," says Relender. What is otherwise smeared on the skin on the outside probably remains there too - despite all advertising promises about the “depth effectiveness” of a product. However, there are still no reliable studies on this. And it is precisely products such as Vaseline or milking fat that are applied to cracked skin or abrasions, i.e. areas of skin whose natural barrier has been disrupted. But the Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) also considers the "presence of MOAH components in a cosmetic product not necessarily questionable," as it writes in a statement.
If you look at the list of ingredients in your body lotion and read the terms Cera Microcristallina (Microcristallina Wax), Ceresin, Mineral Oil, Ozokerite, Paraffin, Paraffinum Liquidum or Petrolatum, you are holding a conventional product based on mineral oil. In natural cosmetics, mineral oils are not allowed at all; vegetable fats and oils are used instead. But it does not necessarily have to be organic cosmetics: There are also conventional products that do not use mineral oils, in which case synthetic fat and oil components are used. Those who are unsure can also turn to them.
- Is there a global certification for Python
- Canadians like the Japanese
- What makes pretzels the number one snack
- What book did Plato write?
- Why do you consider yourself an artist
- Love decreases after marriage
- What's the best Black Friday site
- What is a passive filter band pass
- Is karate better than MMA
- Is it bad to drink old water
- Why is my teenage daughter challenging me
- Which College Is Better IMI or Fore
- Which color is better red or blue
- What is the history of card games
- What treatments are offered in fertility clinics
- What are some Tumblr aesthetic blogs
- Which color starts with the letters SI
- Why is the food in the school cafeteria so bad
- Malaysian food is the next hot kitchen
- What can you do for self-actualization
- What are humorous short stories recommended
- How can you delete a sent SMS
- Can dengue fever delay menstruation
- Which fruit combinations can be unhealthy?
- How does your day usually look?
- How do fried frog legs taste
- How many runways does Frankfurt Airport have
- Why does space-time bend?
- What was the first modern skyscraper
- How to say hide in Mandarin
- What does “Bella” mean in English in Italian
- How did lifting weights change you?
- How do I patent a product
- How can you make 50,000,000