Have you played Death Stranding before?
"Death Stranding": I would have liked to have liked it more
Actually, my review should have been closed at this point a week ago Death Stranding, the new, hotly anticipated game from developer star Hideo Kojima. Like many other major media outlets, DER STANDARD already had access to a review version of the game in mid-October - an unusually generous window of time before the game was released on November 8th. The review embargo should even drop a week before the release. Also unusual - and very - was the following passage in the contractual agreement for this provision of a review copy: Final test judgments or reviews may only be published when the tester has seen the entire game "through to the credits".
In the case of this title, DER STANDARD waived a review after long deliberation because of this clause. Instead, a few absolutely subjective and personal comments on the cult of genius, respect, waste of time and - Death Stranding.
To the bitter end
It is of course not a surprising wish of a creative that his work should be recognized in its entirety by the press; That goes without saying for films, music albums or books. This is only the same with games at first glance, because many titles do not have a corresponding ending; Multiplayer games, sandbox titles, strategy games or rogue likes, to name just a few examples, are actually not really playable "finished". Other titles, such as "epic" role-playing games - or a brief anticipation, Death Stranding - are again so long that, for pragmatic reasons, they are sometimes not played "until the credits" before a critical classification is made. (In addition, no reviews are written about the end of a narrative game anyway, in order to avoid spoilers.)
It is usually not a problem that there are reviews even if the whole game is not through. If you have 20, 30 hours around The Witcher 3 or Fallout 76 has played, an assessment of the quality of the title is legitimately possible with the corresponding journalistic experience - especially in mass media such as STANDARD, whose reviews do not have the same requirements in terms of scope and detail as those of subject-specific special-interest media. In other words and an example from technology journalism: After a long day of test drive with the new car model, you definitely have something worth reporting to say - it is not absolutely necessary to cycle down another 20,000 kilometers to come to a valid judgment.
A secondary aspect is that in the vast majority of publications in video game reviews it is not the time played, but the text that is paid for, in a lump sum and not lavishly. Specifically: game reviewers play unpaid in their free time. The exception are permanently employed authors at the few remaining large special-interest outlets in print and online. In the German-speaking area, no more than a dozen video game journalists are allowed to count their playing time as working hours; With the STANDARD it goes without saying that it does not count as paid working time for both freelance and employed colleagues.
The reason why there was no review at this point a week ago Death Stranding was to be seen is so simple. I have Death Stranding despite serious efforts not played "to the credits". And mainly because of a fundamental point of criticism: Hideo Kojima has not the slightest respect for the time of his audience.
Kojima is Kojima
There are people who are convinced that Hideo Kojima is a genius. Most of all, however, Hideo Kojima himself believes that. Death Stranding is first and foremost a game for all those who share a high opinion of Kojimas in this regard and are willing to give him a lot of time in which - at least for a long time, and deliberately - they are not very entertained. Instead, patience and the will to suffer are required. This not only affects the length of the game, which at 50 to 80 hours is not necessarily short, but also not a particularly endless game-time monster, but permeates everything Death Stranding, from the smallest to the largest.
- Why do people volunteer to work as prostitutes
- Dream God of the universe
- Which 5 cryptocurrencies survive and become profitable
- How does Hans Zimmer compose a soundtrack
- Why do the French smoke so much
- Can I learn C from Python
- Why is there no BJP without RSS
- What's hardest to ignore
- Snakes eat bananas
- Which character trait is holding you back?
- Why should India stop buying foreign products?
- Bitcoin mining is a scam
- In general, goats and cows get along well
- How did Burma become independent
- What is a postcard size photo
- Is it rude to correct someone's grammar?
- What was your starting salary for computer science
- How influencer marketing helps companies
- Why did my daughter cut me off
- How do I play Pokemon GO
- Blog commenting is important for SEO
- Why is Vietnam a popular tourist destination
- Which fruit is good for liver cancer
- 1 euro corresponds to how much money we have
- Which law is technically in violation of the constitution
- YouTube videos help search engine optimization
- What is more important friends or family
- What is the postal code of Bangladesh
- What is the ServiceNow Developer
- How does the tracking of cookies with double clicks work
- Why doesn't my girlfriend love me
- Why do people have doubts
- What do Malaysians think of Indians
- Is it safe to buy from Snapdeal