Can I remove rust?
Rust removal from metal - the 5 most effective measures
Metal tends to oxidize and the resulting rust can completely destroy it. It is therefore important to thoroughly derust the material.
Use acids to remove rust
Vinegar essence, hydrochloric acid and citric acid remove rust from iron, as metal oxide combines with acid to form a salt. With hydrochloric acid, for example, ferric chloride is formed, which dissolves in water. But the acids attack the metal at the same time, which leads to a new oxidation. It is therefore important to wash off the acids afterwards and apply rust protection immediately.
Caution: Toxic vapors are produced and effective acids are corrosive.
Mechanical removal of rust
Sandpaper and a steel brush are extremely effective at removing rust from metal. This method does not produce any vapors and the metal is not chemically attacked. It is not possible to just grind off rust, it will cause scratches on the surface.
For this reason, the process is unsuitable for reliefs or chased metal. The jewelry will be damaged too much.
Gentle rust removal with cola
Cola contains a small amount of phosphoric acid. This converts rust into iron phosphate. Due to the carbonic acid, this substance gets into the smallest corners and crevices in the metal. Since there is only a little phosphoric acid in the soft drinks, the method is only suitable for removing light rust film.
By the way: A cola bath is suitable for post-treatment after mechanical rust removal. It removes any remaining tiny rust particles.
Phosphoric acid as a rust converter
More heavily rusted iron can also be treated with concentrated phosphoric acid. However, the grate must not be too thick. Loose layers that peel off will not treat. It is best to remove thick rust spots with a metal brush and then brush on the acid.
Although phosphoric acid forms iron phosphate and is less sensitive to iron than other acids, thorough rinsing is required after treatment. Caution: the acid and fumes are corrosive.
Converting rust to electricity
Rust is metal oxide, i.e. a combination of metal and oxygen. The oxygen can be released from the compound through electrolysis and converted into water. The metal to be derusted goes to the negative pole of a voltage source, the positive pole goes to a piece of stainless steel. Both poles must not touch and must lie completely in a plastic tub containing three percent caustic soda. Hydrogen bubbles form on the grate, which bind the oxygen in the grate.
Caution: oxyhydrogen is produced, good ventilation is important. In addition, caustic soda is corrosive.
- Do people really know each other?
- What was your experience in Singapore
- What diet program can cause diabetes
- When do you like to write poetry?
- What are some examples of decimal fractions
- What is your unpopular opinion of Yeji ITZY
- Ethical people are less happy
- What do french girls look like
- How many votes does Mississippi have?
- Why is social media important
- What is the Definition of Processed Food
- Which question is not worth answering
- Are vegetarian diets okay?
- What is the most mysterious book
- What's new in Mule
- How can a smoker get well
- Why do you love samsung
- What are the best cruises in Singapore
- Is there a country without a government?
- Which countries are socialist
- What screams low class
- You Can Really Make Money Selling Avon
- What is the social cause of poverty
- How do I find my Discord name
- Can we love someone rationally
- Desert areas are sparsely populated. Why
- What are the most snobbish cities in America
- Is Indonesia a peaceful country
- How is food cooked in lime
- How much is 300 worth in Ghana
- Working construction workers in the rain
- Are blacks racist towards Indians
- What makes an American politician trustworthy
- What if countries had slogans 1