What is AC voltage
Alternating current and alternating voltage
Tesla is the end-user of alternating current and three-phase current. Both quickly found global use. Without this discovery by Tesla, which made it possible to transmit electrical power over many hundreds of kilometers, there would be no such thing as a matter of course for electricity today, with its enormously versatile applications.
In the case of alternating current and alternating voltage, one speaks of electrical quantities that are specified in the units of amps (A) and volts (V), the values of which repeat themselves regularly over time (t). Alternating current is an electrical current that periodically changes its polarity (direction) and value (current strength). The same applies to the alternating voltage.
There are several types of alternating current. Pure alternating quantities are the square wave voltage, the sawtooth voltage, the triangle voltage and the sinusoidal voltage (wave) or a mixture of all of these variants.
In electrical engineering, AC voltages with a sinusoidal curve are mainly used. The sinusoidal curve has the lowest losses and distortions. Therefore, the following descriptions of the alternating current and the alternating voltage are explained using the sinusoidal curve shape.
Alternating voltage is generated by generators in power plants. A red in the generator rotates 360 degrees. This creates a voltage with alternating polarity, i.e. a sinusoidal curve.
The most important alternating voltage is 230 volts from our power grid. It has a frequency of 50 Hz. That is 50 revolutions per second of a rotor in the generator.
Characteristic values of the sinusoidal voltage
- Instantaneous value and amplitude
- Period and frequency
Instantaneous value and amplitude
Since an alternating voltage never has a constant voltage value, electrical alternating quantities whose time dependency is to be shown are referred to as instantaneous values (instantaneous values). These instantaneous values are indicated by a lower case letter (formula symbol).
Maximum or peak values of the amplitude of sinusoidal, time-dependent alternating quantities are indicated by a roof over the symbol. Examples would be the voltage û (pronounced: u-roof) and the current î (pronounced: i-roof).
If the peak value is known, the instantaneous value can be calculated at any angle of rotation λ (= 0 ° ... 360 °).
Period and frequency
The positive and negative half-waves of an oscillation are called the period. The time required to run through the period is the period duration Τ. The period Τ is specified in seconds.
The frequency indicates the number of periods that are passed through in one second. The frequency is given in Hertz (Hz).
The frequency is the reciprocal of the period duration. This means that the shorter the period, the greater the frequency.
Characteristic values of a sine curve
Other related topics:
Electronics simple and easy to understand
The electronics primer is a book about the basics of electronics, components, circuit technology and digital technology.
I want that!
Experience electronics with the "Starter Edition" electronics set
Perfect for beginners and newcomers
- Entry into electronics without prior knowledge
- Quick understanding of components and circuit symbols
- Experiment without a soldering iron: just insert components
More information Order the electronics set now
- Why does high blood pressure cause tinnitus
- When and how does the cookie clicker end
- Will humans ever build on Mars?
- What is the highest salary for electrical and electronic equipment
- Who diagnosed your ADHD
- What is an example of emotional health
- What is a doctor's salary in Australia
- Ambedkar University is a recognized university
- Which country is the most capitalist
- What do i need to learn marketing
- How to add carbon to metal
- Who Are Some Prominent Chinese Americans
- Which birds symbolize death
- You should wear aftershave and deodorant together
- What is Open CPS Transfer
- What is the future of online gaming
- What are interview questions for AWS
- How does cannabis use affect antipsychotics
- How do people live in Venice
- Heating ducts should be cleaned
- Why are cookies called that way
- What makes someone unique
- Is beef and broccoli healthy?
- Which companies built the Panama Canal